• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Heartbeat at 7 weeks and 8 weeks, no heartbeat at 8 weeks and 4 days

foto2426

Reaction score
(I wasn't sure where to post this since I'm awaiting test results and follow-up ultrasounds to definitely confirm a miscarriage. If this isn't the right forum, I'll be happy to take this down and re-post in the right group. Thank you.)

Hi everyone,

I found out I was pregnant when I was 3 weeks along and 2 months after a miscarriage. The pregnancy has been going well so far. I've had no morning sickness or any symptoms to speak of except sore breasts and bloating and because of my past miscarriage I've been getting weekly ultrasounds. Every week the baby was growing right on track. We saw and heard the heartbeat at our 7 week and 8 week appointments. It was fast and strong (143 bpm) and doctor was very pleased. The baby was even measuring a day ahead at our 8 week appointment. Yesterday I was 8 weeks and 4 days. I had a little brown spotting after wiping (none on underwear) so I called my dr's office and they told me to come in right away to check it out. When they did the ultrasound, the baby was measuring right on track and I could see the umbilical cord and it definitely looked bigger than the last scan. However, there was no heartbeat. The ultrasound was done vaginally.

My doctor told me the baby is gone and I'm miscarrying. He was very sympathetic and laid out my options. I was devastated and heartbroken to hear the word miscarriage again. With my last miscarriage, the baby stopped growing at 6 weeks and 3 days and we never saw a heartbeat. I didn't know the baby was gone until I was almost 9 weeks when I started having severe cramping, putting me in the ER. Three ultrasounds and blood work for hCG levels confirmed our loss and I had a D&C done. I do remember my symptoms slowly disappearing and not feeling pregnant anymore but since it was my first pregnancy ever, I had no idea what to do or think.

This time, except for the brown spotting yesterday, I've had no signs. My symptoms are still strong - breasts still sore, belly still bloated, still having food cravings. I'm probably in denial and grasping at straws but I'm wondering if there is still hope that our baby is ok? Is there a chance we couldn't see the heartbeat because of the position the baby was in? I mentioned this to my dr. and he said since it was a vaginal ultrasound, it's very accurate and very, very slim chance of that happening.

I did tell him that I wanted to get my hCG and progesterone levels tested every couple of days and to do follow-up ultrasounds before I decide to go forward with a D&C. He's agreed to do everything I need in order to have peace of mind.

Thanks for listening and if someone has gone through something similar, I would love to hear your experience whether the outcome was good or bad. I just need to know if I'm being silly for holding onto what little hope we have and if I should just start the mourning process again.

My OB told me that the heartbeat isn't always visible up until 9 weeks. Not to give you false hope, but it's possible that it just couldn't be seen.

My OB told me that the heartbeat isn't always visible up until 9 weeks. Not to give you false hope, but it's possible that it just couldn't be seen.

Thank you for your reply, mrs_sasquatch. I've heard that's the case when they do the tummy ultrasound. We've seen the heartbeat twice now - at 7 weeks and 8 weeks - and it was very visible. Both were done vaginally. Crazy thing is, I feel even more pregnant today and was actually feeling nauseous this morning. Could be all in my head, too...

I'm so sorry you're going through this, especially after having been through it before. I've been through a mmc and I remember holding onto that same hope. And I'd definitely get a second opinion and another scan. But unfortunately, they're pretty accurate diagnosing these things. So I think you should prepare yourself for hearing that it's true and the pregnancy is over. I so hope that they're wrong but if you aren't, it'll be easier if you don't build up your hopes again. Big hugs to you! Take care of yourself!

Hoping for a miracle for you Hun. When my Dr first did my vaginal ultrasound last week he turned on the machine and couldn't see the HB. When he played around with it he saw it right away after about one long minute. He said at this stage it's hard to see sometimes. Hope that's the case for u xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->