Heartburn and reflux from hell

gezimmom

Reaction score
35 weeks and suffering miserably! Yesterday I had some pink discharge, but it stopped and wasn't followed by contraction, so I'm not too worried there. The issue I'm having is everything I eat or drink makes me miserable! My heartburn is so bad all day, and I wake up every night with reflux (which leads to vomiting). I eat tums, but was wondering what else I can take? If I call my doctor is there something they'll prescribe, or do I just suffer these next 4 weeks? (c-section scheduled 1/26)

Tums are crap if you ask me. A glass of cold water is more effective than tums haha. Don't know if you're in the uk but I have rennie and they're good.

I use gaviscon tablets or liquid. I also find that milk helps a lot.

My doctor has me taking Pepcid Maximum strength up to 2x a day and you can pretty much get it anywhere. That usually helps my acid reflux. I do top it off with tums and/or milk when its absolutely horrible.

Rennies were much better than Tums for me. Also milk and eating just a dry piece of bread.

Thanks! I'll try milk. Tums is basically worthless for me!
I am in the US... Not sure what Rennies are?
@cews-- I'll have to try pepcid!

Milk works but only for a short time. I had to take Zantac in all my pregnancies. I'm already having to take it this pregnancy or else it burns my throat all night and I wake up basically choking on it. Not fun :(

Ranitidine I think it's called in US? I spent my last few weeks downing bottles of gaviscon. Zantac also good x

A teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of chilled water works too. But drink it straight down as quickly as possible because it tastes like crap!

Omeprazole and Ranitidine are both ok for use in pregnancy and your doctor will probably prescribe one or other if you ask. I've tried both this pregnancy and found Ranitidine to be more effective for me (I just buy mine from the pharmacy because my doctor is shit but always better to speak to your doctor first and get a prescription if you can)

I feel your pain!!! Ranitidine is generic for Xantac and most insurance plans in the US should cover it. If not, it's available over the counter. I'm on a max dose of that plus Tums and still waking up at night with reflux, but I can't even imagine how much worse it would be with nothing. Hope you get some relief soon!

My gp offered to prescribe me something. If you don't want to go that route then gaviscon has been loads better for me than tablet antacids

I feel your pain!!! Ranitidine is generic for Xantac and most insurance plans in the US should cover it. If not, it's available over the counter. I'm on a max dose of that plus Tums and still waking up at night with reflux, but I can't even imagine how much worse it would be with nothing. Hope you get some relief soon!

This is me exactly. Im not sure why my doctor didn't prescribe me Xantac as I was on it my last pregnancy but at least the Pepcid and tums take off the worst of it and I am also max dose and still wake up with the worst heartburn. I love spicy foods but I have cut back drastically because I was tired of waking up feeling like I was going to be sick in the middle of the night.

I emailed the doctor and the nurse gave me a list of stuff to try: tums, pepcid, Prevacid, Zantac, maalox, mylanta, Gaviscon, or riopan.
Does anyone have better luck with one over the other? I don't go in to see my actual doctor until next Tuesday.

Any of them that contain ranitidine are your best bet I would say but to be honest each works differently for each person so would be prepared to try a few. I think start with Zantac and gaviscon

Liquid Gaviscon or Mylanta works best for me... it's terrible!!!!!!

I only have 4 weeks left until my scheduled c-section... I can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->