• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"He'll get there - doing it in his own time"

inperfected

Mum to a 29 weeker
Reaction score
Does anyone else struggle with this?
Mr is now nearly 18 months corrected, 20.5 actual and isn't talking much (he says "woof" to any animal, dada when he feels like it (not to dad), VERY occasionally "ba", not in context, and that's about it) or walking or comprehending that much. Anyone I talk to say's "he's doing it in his own time", and this is likely true, but still, feels like it's writing off my concerns. We have a development assessment next week which is good (6 monthly at this stage) so that will ease the concerns and at least take them seriously. The reality is that excess sleep likely makes it harder to learn (16+ hours a day... still).

Any how, does this make sense?

It's perfectly normal to worry, it is infuriating when family try and brush off your concerns to try and reassure you. That said, I hope you get some good news at your next review. They may start the ball rolling with physio for the walking at this stage, have you had any extra support in that way yet?

It makes sense to me, i am beginning to hear it too.
Can i ask what your was like when he was the same age as my son is now? Did he grasp, roll,teethe etc? When did he meet his milestones? Sorry i dont mean to hijack your thread!

Whistle, in NZ he gets monitored, and more assistance if a monitoring visit (with PT, SLT and psych) shows he needs it. We go this morning.

Saki, I honestly can't remember properly at that age, it was a bit of a daze to be honest. But in saying that, he's a 29 weeker, so at 3 months corrected, 5.5 months actual, he was doing little to be honest. Definitely not rolling and I don't think grasping. Usually a gap of 5 weeks lessens reasonably quickly as some "term" babies are only 2 weeks further along when born. (not negating what you went through - AT ALL - just saying that the difference, unless you had significant problems will likely lessen quite well over time. We also had abnormal brain scan so that's always at the back of my mind too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->