Hello Im new (sorry its a bit long) my story.

nickiem

Reaction score
My daughter Emily was born on friday 30.3.12 at 29+1 weeks weighing 2lb 7oz.

I had a traumatic pregnancy with hyperemisis and constant tightenings from 16 weeks,I also had an iron transfusion as my hb and ferritin were very low. I was already under consultant care as my other daughter Holly was born at 31 weeks in 2009. I also have a son who is 8 and he was born at 40 weeks.

I spent a week in hospital miles from home 2 weeks ago after a positive Ffn test and had steroids. I was discharged and exactly a week later I woke in the night and thought my waters had broken but found myself bleeding heavily. I was advised by my own booking hospital (where I work) they were full and to call an ambulance which came and took me to another hospital where I was contracting irreguarly but still bleeding. They decided I needed to go to a bigger hospital but my bleeding got heavier and the baby was decelerating on the CTG so they decided to wait. My cervix wasnt dilating so I wasnt in labour. Finally things died down and the bleeding settled. I was stable enough to be transferred to a hospital that was joined to mine where I had delivered my elder daughter.

Things seemed to settle until the night of the 29th/30th where I contracted every 5 mins for 6 hours before asking for pain killers, I finally got a few hours sleep and in the morning all had died down again. I decided they were probably braxton Hicks. The bleeding was continuing but nothing like it had been so wasnt overly concerned.

Around lunch time I started having strong pains every 10 mins which were really uncomfy but my children and hubby were coming to visit so tried to ignore them. As they arrived the pains kicked up a gear and the midwife noticed and decided I needed to be checked out so we were ushered up to delivery suite where the dr was waiting. I was trying to make a joke out of it as my two children were with me but my husband was looking a bit worried.

I was examined and found to be 3cm and in labour, after that the pains really kicked up. My dad was called and he quickly came to collect the kids and things got going with the contractions. After a while my sister arrived and I thought my waters had broken but when the midwife looked I was bleeding very heavily. The dr was called and she didnt seem that concerned but I could see everyone else was and the bleeding just kept coming. I had also broken my water but the dr was insisting I hadnt, turns out after delivery that I definately had!

Fast forward and things happened very quickly Emilys placenta suddenly abrupted and I was luckily fully dilated so she shot out in her membrane sack and placenta followed at the same time looking very pale and funny.

I then heamhorraged and ended up with a manual removal of retained products.

Emily needed some serfactant to help her and once she was stable was moved to NICU where she is on CPAP for now.

I am still traumatised by the birth mainly the manual removal which was done with just entinox in the room. I think I found it hard as I am a midwife in the same trust and so I was aware of everything being said etc I knew how worried they all were about the blood loss and kept saying I may need to go to theatre.

Emily is doing really well, she is having 6 hours a day off CPAP and is having EBM 2mls an hour. I have managed to hold her once a day for kangaroo cuddles.

I have been through the NICU journey before but this time seems so much harder those extra 2 weeks really make a difference.

I feel a bit better just writing everything down. Im still in hospital as I lost so much blood and still recovering from that.

I didnt expect to be having a premie again and have nothing for her as we donated all Hollys bits to the SCBU unit she was in.

thanks for listening if you got this far.

Nickie. x

Congratulations on the birth of Emily. To be cycling of cpap is great and she is doing so well.

Sorry you had such a traumatic experience which was probably made worse by your knowledge of everything. Sometimes ignorance can be bliss!

As you already know 2 weeks makes a massive difference in prems so try not to get too disheartened if Emily doesn't seem to be doing things at the same gestation as holly (great name :winkwink:), she will get there.

I hope you recover physically soon and if you find things a bit much bliss has a helpline that parents can call. You will find details on their website.

Good luck xx

Congratulations on your little girl! What a traumatic experience you had! She sounds like she's doing really well x

congratulations on your little girl... hope she continues to go from strength to strength

Huge congrats on your little girl. Sounds like you had a rough time. I also had heavy bleeding every 24 hours from 19 weeks until delivery at 25+6, Reece came out in the sac too followed by the placenta, they gave me the jag in the hip but everything had come away all at once. Nicu is a rollercoaster, but by the sounds of things your little miracle is doing very well xx

Thanks everyone

We have had a couple of tough days she was doing so well they were trying to wean off CPAP but shes become poorly and is back on it pretty much all the time. She is having lots of Bradys and desats it breaks my heart. She has started reflux meds as they also picked that up at the end of last week.

Im really struggling I want to cry all the time, I want to be with Emily all the time but I have my other 2 children as well and the hospital is 90 mins away from home so im trying to keep everyone happy. I feel like such a rubbish mummy.

Sorry for the downer post.

Nickie

Dont apologise for the down post, we all have been there and had plenty days like it.

Bradys are common in preemies and the older they get the less frequent they become. your little one will surprise you one day and totally turn it round.

My little guy was very dependant on cpap and then he had eye surgery, he was ventillated for 26hrs, back on cpap, and when we came in the next day he was on Low flow nasal cannula, and never looked back to cpap. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->