Help Advice Needed xx

KX

Reaction score
Just bathing Rebecca with OH, she has loads of lumpy red spots on her back, mum said it looks like chicken pox. I am pregnant, ear;y stage, read up on internet-doesn't look good.

Will it 100% definite affect baby? Limb and neurological abnormalities?

Ahh don't know what to do! :?

i dont no hun sorry!

i was 13 weeks pregnant round my brother with chicken pox i was told it was fine. i also caught mumps while preg and was told i would be fine.

i remember tyler having chicken pox because i took him the docs and at the same time i confirmed my pregnancy with the doc

ild call nhs direct they are great, ask them about wether or not rebecka needs to see a doc and if your unborn baby is at risk

have you had chicken pox before?

What should I do if I'm exposed?
If you know you're immune, you don't need to do anything. If you're not sure, or you think that you're not immune, call your healthcare provider and arrange to have a blood test done to confirm your status.

If the blood test shows that you're not immune, your caregiver will probably recommend that you get a shot of VZIG. Getting this shot within 96 hours of being exposed to chicken pox can reduce your chances of a severe infection. It's not known, though, whether the shot does anything to help protect your baby. (Note: This protection lasts only about three weeks, so if you're exposed to chicken pox again more than three weeks after your injection, you'll need another shot.)

Ive had it before? :?

You should be protected then but I would perhaps phone NHS to make sure. Hope all is ok, and that Rebecca gets better soon.

Found this

Since you had chicken pox as a child, you should in theory be immune and therefore there should be no risk to your unborn baby. But to answer your questions, there is indeed a very small risk in non-immune pregnant women that should they come into contact with chicken pox during their pregnancy and develop the disease, that their unborn baby could be harmed. In theory chicken pox can cause brain damage, failure of limb development, cataracts, other eye problems, skin scarring and growth ******ation, or even miscarriage or stillbirth in the baby. The overall risk to the foetus is less than one per cent in the first 12 weeks, up to two per cent between weeks 13-20, and there is a greater risk if the chicken pox occurs in the last third of pregnancy, when neonatal chicken pox can be associated with a mortality rate as high as 30 per cent. Therefore if a pregnant mother comes into contact with chicken pox, if she's had it she can be reassured, but if she's unsure, blood can be taken to test the same day for chicken pox antibodies that, reassuringly, are present in two thirds of mothers who never realized they were already immune. If antibodies are absent however, immunoglobulin can be given to reduce the risks of embryonic infection. Incidentally you would be unable to pass on the virus, but your son could whilst his chicken pox is active and in the blistering stage. Let me just say that in 20 years of medical practice I have never seen a case of neonatal chicken pox, so hopefully this puts it into healthy perspective.

I hope this helps

ps poor you :(

Rebecka is always keeping you on your toes. when she is poorly she really is poorly not just the sniffles:( bless you both

thankyou both, xxx

Dionne I blame the nursery :D

And you can't say she caught it off Jack :lol:

I got told by the doctor i saw with jack that if they have had it before (pregnant women) then they SHOULD be ok but keep them away to be on the safe side.

Hope she is ok hun

My sister's OH had chicken pox when my sister was pregnant, and she was told all the time the baby is in the womb the baby will be OK, if you have had chicken pox before as you should technically be immune and therefore be protecting the baby........so try not to worry babe, but you should be fine! I hope it clears up for her soon :( x

When i was pg in dec last yr i caught shingles remember anyone??? Everyone told me it wont affect the baby cos ide had it before, both my doctor an 2 midwifes told me this hun. Even after i miscarried they told me it wouldnt have had anythin to do with the shingles i know there not the same but they are kinda :? but anyway dont worry chick u should be fine!

I hope i havent worried u more now :? cos i was only tellin u what 3 professionals told me!
xx

In early pg with Alisha a girl at work came in with shingles. I knew it was contagious and panicked. Boss phoned nhs direct and dr honed back. You are at risk only if you have not had chicken pox. I wa unsure so they pulled my booking bloods at hospital (had only had them done that week ) and they checked for immunity and phoned me back within 6 hrs and i was immune so i was fine. DS got chicken pox a few weeks later and was told cos i was imune baby would be fine. For own piece of mind speak to m/w and i'm sure they wolud check your immunity. :hugs: Hope lo gets better soon.

KX...Sorry that i dont have any advice. Looks like there is alot of good comments.....Just wanted to give you a hug :hugs:

hi ladies,

Thank you all for your advice, apparently the spots arent cpox, but part of a viral infection. When asked why they now have heads they couldn't answer!!

So watch this space as I aint convinced.

Thanks again for all your help xxxxxxxxxx

when i was 10wks i was looking after my friends son for a few days when he came down with chixpox, i went straight to my hospital consultant and he said point blank that as ive ha it as a child i was in NO RISK whatsoever. so if your not convinced its a viral thing i would try not to worry.

hope this helps put you mind at rest?
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"