help advoiding stress with 5th induction and VBAC

CelticNiamh

Reaction score
Hey every one, I hope you can help me

I am expecting my 6th baby and at the moment I am diet controlled with GD I expect within the next 2 weeks I will be on insulin on less I am very very lucky :wacko:

So I am preparing to be induced on this baby as well, which I know is necessary and I am ok with it

But here is the stress bit:

My babies never engage they like to stay high I do not know why :shrug: but it is just the way I work!
But this causes concern when they try to break my waters as then it’s a major concern over cord coming first...
It first came up on my 3rd birth but my midwife got another midwife to come in and do it for her and she was brilliant, she knew exactly what to do and broke them fine and no problems :thumbup:

But on my 4th and my last baby it was major stress I want to avoid that completely

next which is really bothering me now is, this will be my 5th vbac after an emergency section on my first baby, on my last birth they were very worried about starting me on the drip because of the slight chance of scar tearing... also because I did say that once my waters are gone and contractions start I progress rapidly and labour and birth is max 2 hours 15 minutes ( well it was for the last 4 births any way) my midwife gave out to me for telling the doctor that, as the doctor then decided to break my waters and wait 2 hours to see if contractions started on their own before introducing drip, she was still not going to start me on a drip ( I think she was going to push for a section) so my midwife went to the consultant and got his approval.

so now for this baby I want a positive experience, I want them to start the drip and let me stand to bring baby down more, then when in good position break waters.

I want to avoid an epidural this time I did do it before without one and I know it’s painful but want to prepare mentally for that as I think I let fear take over last time.

Hope you can all understand and if you have any advice please let me know
Thanks in advance :flower:

Hey hun was slightly confused reading this... why are you being induced? Is it due to the GDM?

Is the plan to break your waters and then wait and see if you go into labour, if not then start you on the syntocinon IV? Have they not considered induction by propess?

As for the baby being engaged, generally the more babies you have the less likely your baby will be engaged before labour. They will assess how high baby is before breaking your waters - if they think baby is high enough for the cord to prolapse a midwife is not supposed to do it. It needs to be a 'controlled ARM' by an obstetrician. If baby stays high up it may mean more vaginal exams and monitoring in labour due to risk of cord prolapse.

Hey hun was slightly confused reading this... why are you being induced? Is it due to the GDM?

Is the plan to break your waters and then wait and see if you go into labour, if not then start you on the syntocinon IV? Have they not considered induction by propess?

As for the baby being engaged, generally the more babies you have the less likely your baby will be engaged before labour. They will assess how high baby is before breaking your waters - if they think baby is high enough for the cord to prolapse a midwife is not supposed to do it. It needs to be a 'controlled ARM' by an obstetrician. If baby stays high up it may mean more vaginal exams and monitoring in labour due to risk of cord prolapse.

Sorry about the confusion I will be induced for insulin dependent diabetes depending on how my blood sugars are I expect it will be from 37 weeks on wards the later the better IMO would love to go in to labour myself but doubt that will happen!

They have no plan as of yet, that was how they managed my last induction delayed drip and broke waters with pressure to go for c section from doctor.
What is propess!
I want to make sure I have a more positive birth and as natural as it can be even with facing induction!

Ah Propess is the gel, they wont use that because I have had a c section in the past, but my cervix does ripen early normally 2-3 and last time was 70% effaced and soft so I guess less need for gel maybe! :shrug:

Ah ok then if your cervix is that favourable they wouldn't need it but usually although prostaglandin gel is not recommended for VBAC due to overstimulation, propess is a pessary that can be removed if contractions start becoming too strong or frequent which is why it is beneficial.

If your cervix is favourable then you should be fine with the syntocinon drip - I hope that breaking your waters does it for you with no further meds. If you do end up on syntocinon you can do it without the epidural but just to warn you they will most likely try to get you to have the epidural because 1. synto contractions can be more forceful than natural ones and 2. if you need an emergency section they can just top it up.

I know that's not a great reason but a lot of hospitals do this with high risk pregnancies so that it's easier if it comes to needing an emergency section.

Have you thought of things like accupuncture that you can try before being induced? x

Ah ok then if your cervix is that favourable they wouldn't need it but usually although prostaglandin gel is not recommended for VBAC due to overstimulation, propess is a pessary that can be removed if contractions start becoming too strong or frequent which is why it is beneficial.

If your cervix is favourable then you should be fine with the syntocinon drip - I hope that breaking your waters does it for you with no further meds. If you do end up on syntocinon you can do it without the epidural but just to warn you they will most likely try to get you to have the epidural because 1. synto contractions can be more forceful than natural ones and 2. if you need an emergency section they can just top it up.

I know that's not a great reason but a lot of hospitals do this with high risk pregnancies so that it's easier if it comes to needing an emergency section.

Have you thought of things like accupuncture that you can try before being induced? x
no I had not thought of acupuncture this time but I did have that on my second baby when I was 8 days late! I think I might try it again

I have done the drip without an epidural, they did as you said told me to have it and had it all ready to go and I said it’s too late baby is on the way :haha: was delighted I did not want it at all!!

next labour, they would not break my waters because fear of cord prolapse, they did start the drip but at a very low level so low I felt very little, they then wanted me to have a section! I said no, so they told me the only way they would break my waters was in theatre with an epidural and spinal block so when they broke my waters and if cord came down they could get baby out in time.. Well waters were broke no cord all head and labour took ages to start but no problems delivering my DD

last time with pressure for a section and fear I was heading that way, I got one I did not want to be knocked out.

so this time I will be hoping to avoid one at all cost

I believe they can't start the drip until your waters have gone because of the risk of amniotic embolism. The propess is a good idea though, have a chat with your midwife about it at your next appointment, it might help put your mind at rest xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->