Help!! Birth certificate question. Stressing.

purpleshark

Reaction score
I hadn't even thought of this til a friend said about it today. I've been deprecated since feb 2009 and going through a divorce. I've been with my partner for 3 years this may and this is our first baby together. My question is, can he go on the birth certificate as the father to our baby because I'm still technically married to my ex

I hadn't even thought of this til a friend said about it today. I've been deprecated since feb 2009 and going through a divorce. I've been with my partner for 3 years this may and this is our first baby together. My question is, can he go on the birth certificate as the father to our baby because I'm still technically married to my ex

*separated not deprecated lol. Stupid autocorrect.

In nz you can put who the father is where you are married to someone else yet america from what I hear the husband becomes the dad I think. Could be wrong

Both of you would need to go together or your OH would need to fill in a form giving consent to be included but a birth certificate names the mother and father so I don't see any reason why your OH wouldn't be named as the father, even if you are married to someone else.

The folk on Jeremy Kyle are always having all sorts of folk on their kids BCs and they are sometimes married to other people lol :haha:

The biological father goes on the birth certificate. That's if you want to put him on there.
A birth certificate gives parental rights to both parents.

if a man is not the biological father, weather you are together or not, he shouldn't be on the birth certificate because he isn't the biological father.

I'm in the USA here anyone can be added to the birth certificate, its up to the mother. I know this bc my sister went trough something w here boy. You also do not need to add te biological father if u don't want to. (And of course if u want the bio father on there, u can add him, doesnt matter id ure married or not) Or at least that's how it was in Pennsylvania. Also New Hampshire (where I live now) Could be different in other states but I think usually the mother gets to decide who goes on (or if no on goes on as daddy)

You can definitely put the biological father on BS even if you're married to someone else, I just asked my friend who's still married (technically) but been with her current OH and father of children for five years and just never go round to divorcing hubby x

Thank you. I've been trying to google it and so many answers have come up saying it has to be the husband. I refuse to have his name on there and want my partner down as the father. I can't believe I hadn't thought of this earlier. It just never crossed my mind that it could be a problem.

One thing I want to say is, if u want ur partner on te certificate and not ur husband. Do not fall into the trap of being told that u have to put ur DH on there and then u can revise it later. I do not advise that bc my sister went through yrs of court hearings and heartache to get the bio father removed. She later found out through lawyers that she could have placed whoever she wanted on it at the birth but the 'professionals' pressured her and lied. It is really hard to get someone removed so no matter what push for what u want now and learn the real law. It's much easier now than it will be later. Plus as I recall w my hospital birth and w my HB I had to fill out our own birth certificate registration, so they wouldn't know the difference

You should be able to put your current partners name on the birth certificate as he is the biological father, regardless of the fact you are 'technically' married to someone else. You will both have to attend the registration though otherwise his name will not be able to go on it - he has to agree to it being on there. This will then give him the same parental responsibilities as you.

If in doubt contact your local registration office (most places you need to make an appointment to register a birth anyways) and they will be able to advise you xx

I'm from Chicago and I've never heard of this issue before. You and your ex can be whateber but he has nothing to do with the child you made with your partner, not even legally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->