Help! Can I go back to breast feeding?

mummytobe_93

Reaction score
My LO is currently 3 and a half weeks old, I exclusively pump and have quite a good milk supply!

I started breast feeding but she was a very sleepy baby, ate for a few mins and fell asleep I was concerned if she was having enough, mixed with complete exhaustion I started to give her bottles of expressed milk. I breast fed for about three days.

She now doesn't really take the breast due to being so used to bottles. Pumping is getting harder especially through the night and I'd love to be able to breast feed again and am very annoyed with myself for giving up but it felt like the right thing to do at the time...

I try to offer the breast to her sometimes and sometimes she takes it for a few mins and other times she won't at all. She also arches her back goes very stiff, cries and gets frustrated when she can't get it properl which in turn makes me a bit frustrated and sad . So my question is, is it possible to re teach a baby how to latch even though she's so used to a bottle? (I know baby's find bottle feeding easy and they can become lazy)

Any tips ? Thank you

Yes you can, I'd get some face to face breastfeeding support.
Xx

Thankyiu I might go to the local bosom buddies support group but feel slightly out of it as I have pumped rather than breast fed and would feel like the only one in that situation x

I'm certain that they will have experience of this or put you ib touch with relevant contacts.
I have no direct experience however there was a girl at my bf group who did this.
Xx

Every time your LO is hungry try putting her to the breast. Try putting her when she starts giving cues and isn't crying. Might be easier for her if she isn't already crying for food. Also try at night to lay down beside her and let her feed when sleepy. The breast is more work then a bottle so she just needs to get used to it. You can also try taking baths with her and feeding her there. Might be easier if you are both nice and relaxed. You could also try taking a day with your LO and not using a bottle at all and just keep putting her to the breast. Get a sling or a wrap and have her naked and you topless and keep her close to you for the day.

Feeding in the bath makes it easier for some to get started again. The warm water helps with letdown and it can help to relax you both.

also how about switching bottles also to the medela ones where baby has to work at them . i know it sounds odd but then the bottle teat confusion will go xx

massage your breasts before a feed to start the milk flowing then baby will get what she wants quicker, once she takes to it you can stop and she can stimulate it herself.
Keep trying, put baby to breast often and don't give up.

Thankyou all very much :)! I'm definitely going to keep on trying and will definitely try the bath and maybe a sling and also changing bottles! I tried again today before she made hunger signs and she did suckle for a few minutes and then stopped which is definitely better than she has been recently. The main problem is just the frustration when she can't get it as easy as a bottle but I will definitely try and keep at it! Fingers crossed she's able to relearn how to do it!

My LO is currently 3 and a half weeks old, I exclusively pump and have quite a good milk supply!

I started breast feeding but she was a very sleepy baby, ate for a few mins and fell asleep I was concerned if she was having enough, mixed with complete exhaustion I started to give her bottles of expressed milk. I breast fed for about three days.

She now doesn't really take the breast due to being so used to bottles. Pumping is getting harder especially through the night and I'd love to be able to breast feed again and am very annoyed with myself for giving up but it felt like the right thing to do at the time...

I try to offer the breast to her sometimes and sometimes she takes it for a few mins and other times she won't at all. She also arches her back goes very stiff, cries and gets frustrated when she can't get it properl which in turn makes me a bit frustrated and sad . So my question is, is it possible to re teach a baby how to latch even though she's so used to a bottle? (I know baby's find bottle feeding easy and they can become lazy)

Any tips ? Thank you

It is possible! When my daughter was a newborn she was a slow gainer so I was doing a mix of nursing, pumping, and giving bottles of expressed milk and formula. She was not a good nurser. I did eventually get her to breastfeed 100%.

I would see a lactation consultant if I were you, and also try using nipple shields as they may make the transition from bottle to breast easier. Good luck!

Thankyou futuremama88 will definitely try nipple shields. She breast fed last night for 5 mins when she was content and sleepy. I tried again this morning and she wouldn't take it at all, I think I just need to keep at it!

Thankyou futuremama88 will definitely try nipple shields. She breast fed last night for 5 mins when she was content and sleepy. I tried again this morning and she wouldn't take it at all, I think I just need to keep at it!

It's wonderful that you have a good milk supply! It can help to drop your other commitments in life as much as possible to just spend your time in bed being close to baby and nursing as much as possible when your baby is this young imo. That's what it really took for us to succeed at breastfeeding - I had to let the house become a total mess and live on quick meals for a while. Breastfeeding is more time consuming in the beginning but when baby gets older you will be so thankful as it ends up being way easier than dealing with bottles! Good luck!

I just got her to breast feed for ten minutes and she then fell asleep! I'm hoping she got some milk as i pumped beforehand. I think the key is to do it before she starts crying and showing very obvious hunger signs

excellent news , keep doing what your doing as its working xx

Just breast fed for 10 mins each side, the best I think we have ever done! Very easy for her to latch on and she seemed satisfied afterwards! I just don't understand why sometimes she will latch and feed fantastically and other times she will get very distressed and won't latch on, tenses up and will not feed at all- does anyone know why? Do you think I should cut bottles out all together or do it slowly?

Just breast fed for 10 mins each side, the best I think we have ever done! Very easy for her to latch on and she seemed satisfied afterwards! I just don't understand why sometimes she will latch and feed fantastically and other times she will get very distressed and won't latch on, tenses up and will not feed at all- does anyone know why? Do you think I should cut bottles out all together or do it slowly?

Good job mama! I personally cut out bottles slowly, just to make sure she was getting enough, and then when I switched over to 100% breastfeeding I tried nursing her extremely often for a while to make sure she was getting enough. I'm not sure why your little one nurses well sometimes and not so good at other times but my daughter was exactly the same so it isn't uncommon at all! I guess they are just learning a new skill and it's hard when you're so new and little. It's easier to drink from the bottle so I think it makes them a bit lazy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->