Help - cloth virgin

T

tiggercats

I know you lovely lots get these threads every day, but I've been reading and I'm still clueless :cry: I've read the getting started link that often gets posted but I'm none the wiser. I have a whole load of cloth nappies at my mum's in her loft, but I don't know what they are (not pretty stuff, just plain shaped things AFAIK) and as my family disowned me, getting them requires me going there and being put down :cry: with a week of stress just to build myself up to get there.

I've just managed to get 5 free kushies on my local netmums board which I'll collect soon, I don't even know if they are any good or not.

What is a good starter nappy for a clueless cloth mama with a 13lb 5 month old boy?

TIA

kushies are fine, they arent the best but they do a decent job!

What sort of budget do you have? Do you have a tumble drier or would you mind using it? Do you have a preference to type of nappy? Something that will last him from now to potty training or ones that are sized (ie will last for just certain weight ranges)?

Budget is small (single mum) so I'll probably buy preloved. I do have a tumble drier but try not to use it too much. I don't have a preference, just something that is simple to use, wash and dry.

I don't ask for much do I :wacko:

My first suggestion (usually is!) are Flips. They are economical, easy to use and people can use them day and night.
Basically they come in two parts, a waterproof outer and either an Organic Cotton or Microfibre insert. The Organic Cotton inserts are more absorbent, the microfibre ones are simpler and dry very quickly.
The Flips fit birth to potty so that makes them a useful choice and you dont need as many outers as you need inserts, so you can get approx 6 outers with inserts and get a further 15 inserts and that would do you as a full time set.

You will probably find a good number of pocket nappies preloved that will suit you as well!

What price would you say is fair for flip wraps and inserts? (I'm googling like a mad woman here LOL)

The new price of Flips (and econobums) is rather standard. Preloved anything from £8-£12 depending on usage and staydry/Organic.
The econobums are cheaper so as Rachel suggests it may be worth getting those with Flip inserts.

I found 4 flip wraps, 16 organic inserts and 2 packs of disposable inserts for £85, so I think that is a good deal, I wouldn't need many more wraps or inserts to go totally cloth, although it is a lot of money if they don't suit my LO's bum. Decsions, decisions. I currently don't care what they look like, they can be all plain white for all I care right now, but I can understand how you get addicted and I'm sure my views will change :D

Id go for it, if you dont get on with them you can resell them and you wont loose out really!
I would pick up some stay drys too, im not keen on the stay dry but I have a few that fit around just incase :)

Flips are brilliant! I'm rather new to cloth but love my flips! I prefer the stay dry insert, they work for my boy and he can be dry 3-4 hours with just one insert and no extra boosting! Overnight we use a staydry and 2 bamboo boosters underneath it - 13hours - dry!! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->