Help! FMLA/STD question? Plan on not returning to work...

MrsBenz

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has done their research in this area and can explain it to me in simple terms...fmla, aflac, and all that has been making my head spin.

I am due June 22, and don't plan on returning to work after baby comes. I know I get 12 weeks of FMLA (unpaid), but I have 2 aflac plans (short term disability and a hospital plan) that will pay me for 6 weeks after I give birth.

I am wondering how/if/when I should tell HR that I am not returning. I have a good relationship with my coworkers and boss, and they all know that I don't plan on returning. I am now thinking that was a mistake, because I am learning that I could potentially lose my insurance and std if they learn I am not returning. I am not worried so much about my insurance not covering the birth, because I am also covered by my husbands insurance, but I don't want to lose my short term disability benefits because I have been paying on them for over 2 years now and don't want to just throw that money away.

In a perfect world, I would like to tell HR that I don't plan on returning months before I am due, so they can fill my position and I can train that person in. I also want to maintain a good relationship with the company because someday I might want to go back to work, and there aren't many options in my field where I live.

Could I give a notice that my last day will be sometime in July or august? Technically I would be on leave still, but then they would know that I'm not coming back. I just don't know if that would still allow me to get my 6 weeks from aflac.

Any advice would be much appreciated! I am meeting with HR on Thursday, but I worry she won't be honest with me about what I should do- she just wants to do what's best for the company.

Is your Aflac plan through your employer or did purchase it separately? If it isn't through your employer than I don't think it will make a difference if you are working or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->