Help for Carer's?

LoraLoo

Pregnant with a Rainbow
Reaction score
So, Ollie has ADHD and is becoming increasingly difficult :nope: For a start I think he needs his medication upping, phoned Consultant to bring appt forward as I think he is due one in about 3 months only to be told by woman on phone she is booked up til end of Sept.

These summer holidays have been awful :cry: He has had me in tears most days, being 6 months pregnant doesnt help either as I cant chase after him the same, have SPD and generally feeling like rubbish, and I think he knows that aswell and using is to his benefit! My mum tries to have him maybe once a week if she can, over night, but its getting to the point now where she just cant handle him. He escapes out of the bathroom window for me the other day after I had to lock him in the house, and he got out of my Mums this week too, and ran up the park and ended up getting kicked in his face :nope: My 2 year old is copying his behaviour and smacking and walking round the house shouting 'Idiot!' and 'Stupid!' like he does. She doesn't understand that it's 'naughty'.

I could go on and on...those of you with ADHD children will understand. I dont feel there is any support out there. However, today my friend gave me the phone number of the local Carer's place. TBH I had seen leaflets about it before in Dr's surgery etc but guess I have never seen myself as a Carer, just a Parent. But anyway, it says they offer help and support to people who care for somebody- be it an adult, child etc. It also says that Carers are entitled to an Assesment of their own. Does anybody know what that means? Has anybody been down this route or knows what sort of help/support is available? I dont want them thinking Im a rubbish Mum by phoning up and saying its getting a bit too much for me. I feel like a failure :cry:

Go to the group hun, I would be lost without mine xx I will also pm you later xx

It seems a few of us are having a hard time hun, I promise you, you're not alone. It's normal for the six weeks to be stressful for parents, even more so for parents of children with extra needs.

They will NOT think you're a bad parent. And if you need the help, they are there to give it. :hugs: Also perhaps see about getting a disabled childrens team social worker, and get your LO assessed for respite. Tegan was assessed earlier this year and has respite twice a month now, one afternoon and one full day, and even though it's a tiny amount of time, it makes a massive difference. She has respite tomorrow and I cannot bloody wait, I need a break.

We're having a hard time too at the minute, Tegan is three, she has a lot of physical disabilities as well as suspected autism and she's a HARD child to look after. I can honestly say that no one in either mine nor OH's families understands how hard it is to look after her - she needs around the clock care (waking/repositioning every ninety minutes overnight for safety reasons and catheters and meds etc) and it is wearing me down at the minute. :(

Sorry didnt get round to PM, off on driving lesson will be back later xxxx

Hi, I hope you don't mind me jumping in. Up until very recently I worked for Suffolk Family Carers and yes you are entitled to a carers assessment. Your local carers' centre should be able to organise this for you through social services. If not you can go to SS direct. They will assess whether you will be eligible for any respite care, I expect that you would be, and also if there is anything else that you need to help you day to day. They will also be able to advise you as to whether there are any support groups nearby that you could go to and sometimes respite can be given to attend these. Good luck, I hope that you get the support that you need x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->