Help from those who's OH's work away?!

L

lepaskilf

My OH works away, he always has done so we've always been used to it. He can go away usually from 2 weeks to 6 weeks depending on the work.

Since our LO has been small he has never really noticed his daddy leavinng, and then just got on with things, however......

He has now got to the age where it's really starting to affect him.... we dropped OH off at the train station this afternoon. We try to make the goodbye as simple and as quick as possible. I then get in to the car with Tom before the train leaves otherwise Tom will want to get on it, as he's obsessed with trains :dohh: Tom got in to the car okay but then when he realsied daddy wasn't coming back he sobbed the whole way home (20mins!)

I tried to 1st explain where daddy had gone, that he'd gone on a train, then an aeroplane, to work on a boat but he just cried for the train.

So I tried just saying bluntly that daddy has gone to work so we can have food, a house a holiday etc but he didn't really understand!!!

We do talk to him when daddy is here and try to explain but he just misses his daddy so much, and when he gets upset about something else (say a week later) he will cry for daddy :(

I can comfort him but I'm struggling to help him understand and I know as he gets older that it could just get worse!

........... Sorry for the long post but I really hope someone who goes through this or has been through this in the past can help me :)

Thanks x

I've also posted in Toddler section.

My DH use to travel for work, but our kids are older...so it was easier...but here's an idea. Would it be possible for your OH to set it up so you can "skype" (chat online using a camera)...this way your LO could see his dad and talk to him at the same time.

My DH had it set up for us, but we never used it. Hopefully someone else will have an idea or two that may work.

Good luck!

Hi, thanks for reply :)... Yeah we've got skype set up, which is fab! Tom loves seeing his daddy on there. But when he's sailing we can be without contact for weeks on end!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->