Help - getting conflicting advice about how to take antibiotics

Tesa

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been diagnosed with Mastitis and prescribed antibiotics. But Im being given realt strange advice from the docs/pharmacist about how to use them and I think/know their advice is wrong. Can anyone advise?

Baby is 12 days old, I have a 7 day course of amoxicillin.

Doctor told me to empty the breast before taking the tablet then use that milk for the feeds inbetween - that wont work my newborn is feeding every 2 hours!

Pharmacist told me to pump and dump from the affected side since the milk is full of pus cells. Im sure thats wrong and if i go to pumping only on that side (i) I wont empty it properly and (ii) ill lose milk supply I know

Also asked both about taking probiotics and the answer was no - no need. But i dont want us to get thrush next!

Any advcie or can anyone point me in the right direction? Im holding off taking first dose til I work this out but my temp is 40degrees so i need to manage it quickly!

Thanks in advance
Teresa

Take them as you would normally, no need to pump and dump and you can feed from the infected side too. Hope you feel better soon xx

^wss. It's shocking medical professionals are giving such contradictory and wrong advice! Xx

Beware the antibiotics may give lo tummy ache etc. My dd currently gets tummy ache due to my antibiotics.

That's shocking medical advice!! You can take the antibiotics and breastfeed as normal. Feeding from the affected side is the best thing you can do. If you can't tolerate feeding then express or hand express in a shower. The worst that will happen is you and/or bubs gets a dodgy tummy x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->