Help - homebirth service refused if I labour tonight

imagine13

Reaction score
I have just been called to be told that the homebirth service has been cancelled tonight due to the 1cm of light snow :growlmad: Midwife who called me says she is the only one on call and lives outside the city and can't get to me.

Conditions really are not that bad and they are required to send two midwives - so why the hell are they telling me there is only one on call - and she is miles away from me :shrug:

Apparently I have to abandon all my plans and get myself to hospital. If midwives can get to hospital (2 mins up the road from me) I am sure they can get to me. Its crazy! Anyone know what my rights are in this situation?

That sounds wrong to me! They have a duty of care to send you two midwives. That's shocking!

If the weather is that bad that midwives can't travel, and you are willing to go to hospital, then they have to send an ambulance for you.....it's hardly reasonable to expect a labouring woman to travel in conditions that their staff are unable to? And if they can get an ambulance to you, they can bring the midwife in the ambulance...they have a duty of care to you and your baby.

The weather isn't even that bad in the city centre where I live which is what is so crazy. Why is it my problem that the MW on call lives well outside the city somewhere that is slightly more affected by snow then we are here! Grr. Just seems like a lame excuse to me.

I did say should we be expected to drive the the birth unit if conditions are too bad for her to come to us and I was told to get a taxi. Why doesn't she do the same!?! Sorry but I normally would be going to work in these conditions and have travelled the breadth of the country in much worse for a much less important job. :growlmad:

Who is better off trying to travel in poor weather conditions? A midwife or paramedic who can call for help if they get stuck and just hang there and keep warm till the 4x4 arrives or a woman in labour who could potentially give birth in subzero temperatures at the side of the road?

You need to decide which risk is mor acceptable to you. A planned homebirth where the baby arrives in the warm before the mws or an unassisted roadside birth in freezing temps.

Thanks ladies. I'm not going anywhere if I go into labour. I know its selfish but I don't see why after 9months careful planning, mental preparation and expense I should give up my home waterbirth. Just annoying to have this stress - I have jumped through all their hoops already to get this far!

Yep, unfortunately that sounds nice and familiar :nope:

I had EXACTLY the same response when I was in labour with my son 2 years ago and was told they couldn't risk the midwives coming out to me in the snow (where they are based is literally a ten minute walk from me) so I ended up going into the hospital at 8cm dilated.

I really hope you get a homebirth hon xxx

I had EXACTLY the same response when I was in labour with my son 2 years ago and was told they couldn't risk the midwives coming out to me in the snow (where they are based is literally a ten minute walk from me) so I ended up going into the hospital at 8cm dilated.

That is dreadful!:nope:

That is crappy :growlmad: Thanks - I hope baby stays put tonight!

Yes they tried (and failed) to pull it on a client of mine. Stuck record technique is a good one. You don't negotiated or sympathise with their difficult position. Your position is more difficult.

There is some good info under shortage of mws which applies in these circumstances too.

You are unlikely to labour now anyway as this has probably produced enough adrenaline to hold labour off! :lol:

Yes they tried (and failed) to pull it on a client of mine. Stuck record technique is a good one. You don't negotiated or sympathise with their difficult position. Your position is more difficult.

There is some good info under shortage of mws which applies in these circumstances too.

You are unlikely to labour now anyway as this has probably produced enough adrenaline to hold labour off! :lol:

Yes, the homebirth website has some great info. Been getting OH to rehearse the stuck record technique.

Think you're right though, too much adrenaline to labour now. Shame, waste of a cracking spicy vindaloo earlier. *******s could have told me before I scoffed that down! Hope the effects kick in tomorrow morning when the next shift of midwives starts :haha:

I can understand where you're coming from, its an awful position to be in!
Although my mum is a community midwife and once when she was on call last year when it snowed a little and was really icy she was told she was the 2nd midwife to be called to a homebirth 30 minutes from where she lived.
She had a normal hatchback and slid on some ice into a ditch on the way to the home birth, and because of the rural location she had no phone signal! In minus conditions. She'd already called the woman saying she was on her way but may take a while because of conditions, so the woman was expecting her.
It was a really shitty position to be in and she eventually got to the birth an hour later and was there on time, but now she makes a rule of saying she can't get there if the roads are icy AND its snowing, even only a light dusting. She has my little bro to look after too so if anything had happened to her it would've been terrible.
Obv you're in a worse position if you want to labour at home and no-one can get to you, but its interesting to know the other side to the story too! x

I've just read as well that you're in the city centre- i have no idea why the midwives wouldn't try to get to you there :shrug: theres more than likely going to be other drivers on the road even with small amount of snow, so theres no excuse really. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->