help! how do you deal with growth spurt fussing?

Sarah lo

mum of 2 little monkeys!
Reaction score
I think we've hit the 6 week growth spurt early. He was born a 6 days late so technically he's 6 weeks old today.

When feeding he's frantically pulling off and screaming till I reattach him then he sucks for a few seconds and does the same thing again.

I'm just wondering what's the best way to handle him when he gets like that? I have been trying to give him a break from feeding. For example giving him a nappy change, a nice warm bath, taking him for a walk etc for half an hour or so and then going back to feeding when he's calmed down. But am I doing the right thing in terms of letting him build up my supply? Or should I be letting him feed as much as he wants even when he's fussing?

I'd just keep letting him feed, even if popping on and off. My lactation consultant always told us that the fussing at the breast is the way the baby tells your body to make more milk- that it actually builds your supply. Just knowing that was always reassuring to me.

I'd just keep letting him feed, even if popping on and off. My lactation consultant always told us that the fussing at the breast is the way the baby tells your body to make more milk- that it actually builds your supply. Just knowing that was always reassuring to me.

That's interesting! When my lo does this, it kind of drives me nuts, so knowing this will help me be patient.

I think we've hit the 6 week growth spurt early. He was born a 6 days late so technically he's 6 weeks old today.

When feeding he's frantically pulling off and screaming till I reattach him then he sucks for a few seconds and does the same thing again.

I'm just wondering what's the best way to handle him when he gets like that? I have been trying to give him a break from feeding. For example giving him a nappy change, a nice warm bath, taking him for a walk etc for half an hour or so and then going back to feeding when he's calmed down. But am I doing the right thing in terms of letting him build up my supply? Or should I be letting him feed as much as he wants even when he's fussing?

This is exactly what my son started doing yesterday. He's never done this before and it was driving me nuts. I wasn't sure if I was making too much milk, not enough, if he was in pain, or just tired..? Maybe I should just chalk it up to 6 week growth spurt. My son will be 6 weeks tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->