• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help!! Insulin Controlled GD Issues.

mrs_sasquatch

Reaction score
Ok, so I am kind of freaking out. I will be calling my dietician at some point today, but looking for advice in the meantime. I am an insulin controlled gestational diabetic.
The reason for this, is my fasting numbers were staying consistently too high, even though my after meal numbers were being controlled well by diet. I changed my entire diet around it, and all of my after meal numbers were starting to look good.
Well, now that I am on insulin, my fasting numbers are even higher and my after meal numbers (still following the diet) are out of control, but drop sharply at random intervals. For example: I'm supposed to stay under 120 after meals, yesterday it was over 170 the whole day, but I felt odd before dinner yesterday (Only a short gap between meals) and tested...and had a 61. A 61. That's the very bottom of the numbers I should have after fasting. I am so frustrated. It feels like it's uncontrollable.

Yikes! That's seriously really scary, I have no advice for you as I've been able to control my numbers with diet but i would insist they see you asap and get them to reevaluate your insulin!

Yes, I would talk to an endocrinologist to get your dosage right. I take my long acting insulin 2x/day for better coverage. I would have to take short acting too if I didn't watch my carbs at meals. There is something called the dawn phenomenon that causes blood sugar to spike in the morning, which is probably why your fasting numbers are high. I find that a glass of dry red wine at dinner or before bed helps keep my liver occupied so it doesn't release all that glucose in the morning. I know you're pregnant so probably not the best option.

Well, my dietician changed my dosage to more than triple what I was on, and now it's mixed insulins. Even if I am relatively carb free, the numbers spike and fall too quickly to be ok. I have an appointment with my OB tomorrow, so we will see what she has to say about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->