Help! is this silent reflux

greatful mum

Reaction score
This is my first post on here and I am looking for some advice. My daughter is 7 weeks today and for the last few weeks I have been having problems with her and what I think is reflux and not getting anywhere with the doctors.
She is formula fed and taking 2oz - 5oz every 2 -4 hours and gaining weight well. Her symptoms are

Very very windy like it pops out just by stretching: blush:
Seems like she has a sore throat all the time
She is a little sick but no more than any other baby
She doesn't sleep more than 10mins even with her cot elevated
She coughs when drinking her bottle
She hiccups after every fed
She seems uncomfortable all the time sort of wiggling and brings legs up to tummy
She seems congested after a bottle but does not have a cold
And worryingly I have just noticed that when she is asleep it's like she forgets to breathe then gulps to catch a breath

I'm not sure if I am being a paranoid mum or I should be worrying. The doctor tried telling me she is colicky but she doesn't scream like she has colic I have tried her on infocal, colic drops, gripe water and now colieaf. We have also tried gaviscion which doesn't work.
To sleep the only position she can get comfortable in is on my chest on her tummy.
I keep her up right for at least 30min after a feed and wind regularly. It has got to the stage that I told my husband to sleep in the spare room as she groans all night on and off it is keeping him awake and as his working he can't rest in the day and it's making him ill.
She is a happy baby but tired the first time I saw her really content was in the bath the other day where she was kicking her legs and splashing and smiling.

Any advice anyone has would be gratefully received sorry it is such a long winded post

I'm sure that there are other Mums who have reflux experience who will be along to advise shortly. I think that some Drs are more aware of reflux than others.

When she's sick, does she cry or seem to be in pain?

My LO was very windy at your LOs age but he has grown out of it.

Have you tried the colic massage to relieve wind?

I would trust your instincts and persist with the Dr.

You could be describing my baby. Her ped. said silent reflux and put her on zantac. It didn't help much at all and made her more gassy so I stopped giving it. I switched her to a gentle formula and that helped some. She's still gassy and needs to sleep on an incline, hicups alot and will spit up when she's flat on her back fro diaper changes or playing on her play mat, but she doesn't mind any of it. All babies have reflux, some just more than others. I'd try a comfort formula and see if that doesn't help just enough so she can at least sleep comfortably. We also started letting our lo sleep in her swing and she sleeps great that way (we'll worry about weaning off it that later). My personally feeling on reflux or silent reflux after my experience is that unless the baby is projectile vomiting or spitting up so much that they're not gaining weight, then you just have to be creative and ride it out unfortunately.

EDT: Forgot to add, most babies, especially the ones that only have moderate reflux (they ALL have it at least mildly) will outgrow it by the time they start on solids or even before that around the 4 months mark. They're little systems just need time to develop and mature.

My ds has severe reflux and 3/4 weeks ago I was describing exactly what you are, baby doesn't need to be violently sick for it to be reflux, we tried all colic stuff ,copied worked for bout 4 days then stopped!! He's now on aptimel comfort milk works great for wind and us thicker so has helped reflux a bit too. ( only downside is that poo really stinks!!!) worth a try, u have nothing to loose!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->