Help me to not give up

x-li-x

Me & Hubby + 3 :)
Reaction score
So lately we've been having troubles with weight however things were on the up and going well he was putting on weight just slower and following a new line ( he dropped several centiles) , hv sent us to to gp who said all was fine so I thought things were great, between tues and today he's gained 2oz. Pretty good for him however today he's been as miserable as sim barely feeding , feeds for a while then gets distressed more so on one boob then the other. Normally whilst he feeds on one I had express the other and things are fine however today I can't express barely a dribble from one side and half the amount I use to on the other. The one he fussed in pretty much right away is the one that I can get nothing out of but the dribble here and there and the one he will feed for a couple of mine then kick off is the one that gets about 0.5 oz from and I use to get much more from them both . It seems my supply has suddenly just gone or dropped. Can this seriously happen? I feel like breast feeding has become a big work n worry now n am just ready to give in and give up even though I know il hate to, but I can't go on like this. We tried fenugreek not to long ago and it made him windy so that's no good either, he's also sleeping so rubbish.

Please help x

He could be having a growth spurt. Dont fret too much as stressing will make things harder. If it is a growth spurt it will pass. Maybe eat plenty of oats and drink plenty of water as this should help a little. Dont give up just yet. your doing great.

Hi hun

You're doing amazing! As OP has said try not to stress about it as it will only make things much harder for both of you :hugs: He's gained weight so that is really good news! :thumbup: I'm not an expert but personally I would perhaps stop expressing the other side when LO is feeding and perhaps offer the other side if he starts to fuss. Pheebs went through a phase of only wanting the left :shrug: No idea why.

Don't forget that you will never get as much as baby does when you express so don't let that make you think that you're drying up. Let him feed as much as he want as often as he wants and if he seems to have had enough take him off and perhaps offer again later on if you think he's not had enough.

Is he having plenty of wet and dirty nappies?

Hope this helps in someway xxxx :hugs: You're doing an amazing job and don't forget it!

Maybe not being able to express means yours supply is stabilising? Lots of women who feed their baby just fine have never been able to express a single drop (plus I could never express anything when I was stressing).

If he is gaining along a new line then I wouldn't worry about weight gain.

Re his fussing:

Has he got a blocked nose or sniffles?
Has he got any white spots or white film on his mouth? (Thrush)
Could he be teething?
Growth spurt?

Have you tried breast compressions? They can be hard work for long periods, but they got me through a few growth spurts where I thought I'd give up.

Thanks ladies it seems I'm letting the hv get to me and am worrying to much and need to trust myself and Noah. He was so badly fussy that day and screamed most the night but wouldn't feed but the last two days he's back to his usual self. Feeding about every 2-3 hours in day , n on n off all night. We co sleep so I manage. He was taking both boobs too for like a day and a half but then this afternoon he's back to the one so we will just keep going and I will learn to stop stressing.
His sleeping is still not great but that seems common for this age and we thinking maybe we've hit the start of teething also :)

YAYYY That's fantastic news! So pleased you stuck to your guns and carried on :yipee:

Sounds like he's feeding perfect! :thumbup:

When is your next weigh in?

Thank you, he certainly seems too be , great feeding and happy little dude today :) much more relaxed now. Plenty of wet nappies, dirty ones are less then usual but nothing to worry about. Every other day mostly now, we're normally use to 1-4 a day haha, so were enjoying less poo ;-)

Next weigh in is suppose to be Wednesday but the gp told us to weigh him monthly instead so I may just tell the hv we won't be back for a couple weeks as he was only weighed Friday. Don't see the point in going and her potentially ruining our new stress free feeding life with her silly high expectations, she wants between 3-7oz gain a week and looking at the line he only needs 2oz a week to keep to the line he's in, he's not going to shoot back up several lines in a week so she needs to just accept he's growing slower then he was .

I've also decided I will go weigh him myself in the self weigh clinic rather then through apt and only see her again of he looses weight, drops dramatically or seems unwell.

I'm so happy I kept to it, I would have been gutted otherwise and I know he loves boob haha.

X

So pleased to see you much happier. If you notice on the chart thingie.... around 4 months the weight gain isn't as rapid as in the first few months.

Hope all continues to go well xxx

I don't think you should worry about slow weight gain. If there is a problem your baby will let you know with nappy output and they will be really distressed. My son dropped from the 75th centile to off of the bottom and we had to see a couple of doctors at the hospital who all confirmed he was fine and he was just supposed to be little.

As for fussyness, it's normal for you to be able to express less after a while, and it's also normal for babies to get fussy due to wonder weeks, growth spurts, and teething :hugs:

It is so worth it to carry on <3

Mia actually lost an ounce between a visit 2 weeks before her well child and her 4 month and dropped from the 50th to the 12th and my ped said it was common for bf babies especially those who are busy. She wasn't worried about it because LO's height and weight proportionately didn't drop far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->