help... my LO is unhappy!

xBabyGoose

Reaction score
My LO is 11 days old and for the past few days nothing I do seems to please her. She's been constantly crying for days now, no matter how many times I feed, change, wind, cuddle etc her she still winges.

What is wrong with her and why can't I make her happy? Does she not like me? I feel like a complete failure as a mum and it hurts me so much that I can't tend to her needs because I love her so much, I'm scared I'm going to eventually hate her

Hey sweetheart dont worry about her hating you thats definately not the case she is so new to this huge world that she needs you all the time. Do you swaddle her? Perhaps it may help but hopefully someone whos more experienced with silent reflux and milk allergy will hop on and be more helpful. The early days are confusing as you both work it all out-sending you :hug:

I completely sympathise with you Hun, my lo is 7 weeks now and has always been exactly the same. He's just a grumpy baby I'm sorry to day. Could be that your lo is just getting used to bring out in the world, what sort of delivery did you have if you don't mind me asking? Sometimes the pressures in their head can be altered by a long, difficult or assisted delivery :hugs: I know how you feel I promise, ATM my lo is just on my lap crying and nothing I'm doing is working, he does have a cold though so it's probably contributing to his current mood!xxx

I have had times like this with my LO. Try swaddling her really snug and holding her really close to you. Also a pacifier really helps with my LO. I also do a lot of singing. Your LO definitely doesn't hate you its just that its a scary big world to them at first and they need a lot of comforting. Also your LO can pick up on if you are frustrated so maybe put her down for a few minutes let her cry then try again when you are just a bit more relaxed.

Don't feel like a failure! The first few weeks are tough. Even with an "easy" baby. Check with your doctor as the fussiness could be due to food intolerances/allergies. But she could just be a fussy colicky baby. There is a website called happiest baby that suggests the following calming methods for newborns and they work for me when my LO is inconsolable:

Swaddling: Tight swaddling provides the continuous touching and support your baby is used to experiencing within the womb.

Side/stomach position: The infant is placed on their left side to assist in digestion, or on their stomach to provide reassuring support.

Shushing sounds: These imitate the continual whooshing sound made by the blood flowing through arteries near the womb. I also use a hair dryer, fan, or a white noise maker because it's easier than saying shhhhh forever.

Swinging: Newborns are used to the swinging motions within their mother’s womb. Rocking, car rides, and other swinging movements all can help.

Sucking: “Sucking has its effects deep within the nervous system,” notes Karp, “and triggers the calming reflex and releases natural chemicals within the brain.”

Hey hun my lo is exactly the same some babies are just grumpy bums lol. She has a lot to take in so she is prob quite overwhelmed too. Plenty of cuddles and swaddling helps with my 7 week old xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your replies guys, I really needed to get that out. Never been through such turmoil in my life, even my OH has broken down to tears every night!

We swaddle on and off but sometimes she skrikes and struggles to get out of it. Tried introducing a pacifier but she spits it out - its like she can't grip onto it? She's used me as a comforter before so I know shed probs be that little bit more settled if she took it!

have u tried a cherry dummy my lo couldnt grip on to the orthadontic ones xxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->