*help needed* pcos drama

Sparklegirl

Reaction score
Hey ladies, i really need all the advice possible pleeeaaaaase:flower:

Ok, i was diagnosed with PCOS a while ago, so my periods are very irregular, long & sumtimes bleed for weeks on end. the thing is i never know when im ovulating:cry:, my Dr. doesnt want to give me anything to help coz she thinks i need to lose weight 1st. i.ve tried opks but never get a positive, & temping doesnt work either, do check for ewcm, then do opks which was all neg.:shrug:

im so tired of symptom spotting & always getting a neg, im kinda ntnp because of this,
Any other ideas or suggestions what i can do to figure out when im ov

plse dnt read & run, any suggestions welcome:flower:

I guess you could try going to another doctor to see if they would prescribe you something to help induce ovulation.

However, have you tried losing weight? My doctor said that is the first thing they recommend you do because even just losing ten pounds can help your cycle. It can also help with decreasing the risks associated with PCOS--like gestational diabetes, etc.

If you can't get a doctor to prescribe medication maybe focus on losing weight and BDing every other day or every other three days in hopes of catching the egg!

Sorry I can't be of more help.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Has your doctor prescribed Metformin? I was in exactly the same situation as you which to be honest sounds like a good dose of clomid would be of use! But because I'm a chubster she prescribed me Metformin first to see if it would settle down all those bad hormones and insulin resistant nasties and help me lose weight. BMI to be under 30 for clomid round here.

And it did. A stone and a half over 5 months. I heart Metformin (after the initial grizzly tummy settles down) still not ovulating I am sorry to say but I am a hell of a lot closer than I was, cycles are more regular and lighter as well.

My doctor even suggested I use Alli for weightloss if met didn't work, she is so convinced that losing even a bit of excess weight can alter cycles dramatically.

Don't know where you live but metformin is sometimes called glucophage and almost all of my PCOS symptoms have reduced while on it xxx

Im afraid it's the same here :cry: You are told to lose weight otherwise Dr won't even look at you.

But - girls are given Metformin to help lose the weight. You are most likely insulin resistant which makes it a lot more difficult to shed the pounds. Id try another doctor and ask for Metformin.

There's no easy answer for PCOS ladies. We need to stick to strictest diet and exercise plan to lose weight. Luckily Im only slightly overweight but I have to watch what I eat all the time :growlmad: It does become annoying and depressing - but what can we do?!

ive just been diagonosed with pcos and im now on metformin to help with weight and extra hair etc... my cycles are regular ish but my gyno thinks im probably not oving even thow my ovaries look fine on scans, so this cycle im going to try isoyflavones 115mg ccd3to cd7 to see if it helps me ov....

have u tried charting sparklegirl then u can have a clearer idea of whats going on an u could try isoflavones to help bring on ov! xxx

May I ask why does temping not work??
Is it because you never get an ovulation shift? because if so then temping may actually be working fine

I have PCOS and was also told to lose weight before they would prescribe we with any drugs to help my ovulate. I only lost 3 1/2 in the first month and had a cycle the month after so i firmly believe that every little bit helps. A little exercise also goes a long way as well xx

Is it because you never get an ovulation shift? because if so then temping may actually be working fine

Im terrible @ temping, i never wake the same time or i forget :dohh:

I was diagnosed with PCOS and dr told me to lose weight too.. Lost 5 kilos then they put me on clomid.. I'm now 24 wks preg.. After 1 and a half years of trying, and 9 months before falling pregnant found out i had PCOS...

How long were you on Clomid before you fell pregnant. My next FS appointment is in 2 weeks and i think that is what i will be prescribed. I'm very excited!!! x

I was on clomid awhile before falling pregnant..

started off on 50mg for 3 months..
Up'd to 100mg for 3 months...
Then up'd again to 150mg fell pregnant..

Okay ladies please don't be discouraged, I have severe PCOS.. And they thought i wasn't ovulating as every test i did came back negative (including the one where i fell pregnant) But here i am pregnant.. I ovulate during my periods.. About 2-3 days before the end.. Also it's a good idea to keep a diary of time you start your periods - time you finish any major cramping throughout, while on the clomid.. So you have a ref to take back to the dr.. It was recommended to me by my Gyno.

Hope this helps..

I was also on metformin until the other day.. From the time i started with the clomid, only off it as 26 week glucose test is coming up and the dr doesn't want a false reading

Im terrible @ temping, i never wake the same time or i forget :dohh:

Hey - re temping, try the sit I use, it automatically adjusts for waking time differences. See my sig for the link.

Hey Lisa
I have PCOS too, but doc didn't tell me to lose weight. My BMI is about 23.4

Metformin didn't help me to lose weight either...though I've been taking it for 4 mths now. (bummer) My period came 3 out of those 4 mths though, so I suppose it is helping to regulate my periods, but still not PG yet.

Going to start on Clomid as soon as my hubby's sperm count improve.

Hey Lisa
I have PCOS too, but doc didn't tell me to lose weight. My BMI is about 23.4

Metformin didn't help me to lose weight either...though I've been taking it for 4 mths now. (bummer) My period came 3 out of those 4 mths though, so I suppose it is helping to regulate my periods, but still not PG yet.

Going to start on Clomid as soon as my hubby's sperm count improve.

your BMI is fine and you dont have to lose any weight to be prescribed clomid.
Plus it only helps you lose weight if you have insulin resistance...not sure if you have that (and even then not all the time
Most of the time when doctors tell patients to lose weight is because their BMI is well over 30

My BMI Was over 35 when they told me to lose weight but now i have reduced that they are will to prescribe me something.

I don't have regular periods so find it really difficult to read what stage i am at. I'm sure i Ovulated last month tho because i was getting all the signs of ovulation and then my period came 2 weeks later which was the first for 4 Months so there is a little hope there.

not a lot of point in temping with pcos - you will only get the shift after you ovulate which will be too late.

have you been tested for insulin resistance? If you are resistant then the girls are right, metformin really is your best bet. It didnt do a thing for me but i have no resistance so no issue there. But even if you go private they won't do a lot until youve lost weight as things like clomid simply wont work.

What's your BMI now if you don't mind my asking?

not a lot of point in temping with pcos - you will only get the shift after you ovulate which will be too late.

have you been tested for insulin resistance? If you are resistant then the girls are right, metformin really is your best bet. It didnt do a thing for me but i have no resistance so no issue there. But even if you go private they won't do a lot until youve lost weight as things like clomid simply wont work.

What's your BMI now if you don't mind my asking?

my bmi is easily 4o :cry:

@ dragonmummy so there is no use temping really :shrug:
i suppose i should try loseing this weight then even if its just a little

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back