Help plz! No one at school wants to play with my son :(

LilianA

Reaction score
My son was diagnosed with high functioning autism when he was 3 and went to special needs school for about a year and half and got plenty of private therapy along with therapy at school..last year the school said he is at a level that he could join a regular class room and be pulled out for therapy a couple times a week instead of special needs class..we were thrilled and still are but the thing is recently my son (6 years old) has been down and yesterday happened to mention that no one at school wants to play with him! it breaks my heart so much and I don't know what to do about it..
his speech is ok but has a lot of grammatical mistakes still and he doesn't "get" everything others say if you know what i mean.
I just had a baby 6 weeks ago and I have a toddler as well and this is really really bringing me down and I just feel like im lost and don't know how to help him.
thanks ladies

:hugs: Could you get the teacher to teach the other children a little bit about autism? Maybe the other kids would be able to understand him a little bit better?

No advice as such, but a friend of a friend has a son who sounds just like your LO - he is high functioning Asperger's, and had similar problems when he was around your LO's age. I'm not sure how she dealt with it (I haven't seen her for a long time) but I do know that now her son is older, it isn't an issue. I think sometimes as children get a little older, they start to understand others "eccentricities" a little more xx

Thank you babyboo that did make me feel better :)

Maybe you can talk to your son's teacher about introducing books and classroom materials that your son specifically likes and have him share them with other kids. Do they have disability awareness in their classroom (i.e. posters with kids in wheelchairs, pictures of kids with Down Syndrome, books about disabilities etc) There are a lot of great websites with materials that can help kids understand differences in kids are not all that different.

You don't want to single your son out- the point is that he is included just like everyone else. If you're really concerned, I don't know what it's called if you're not located in the US, but you can implement social goals that the teacher and therapist have to work on in his IEP (individualized education plan)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->