Help! Possible milk supply issues.

bookworm0901

Reaction score
So my milk has been fine and my daughter has seemed content. Until uesterday, when I had an emergency appendectomy. After my unexpected surgery, I hadn't ever pumped for her so she got bottles of formula while I pumped in the hospital. I tried to follow her pattern of every 3 hours.

Yesterday I went from noon to 6 without feeding or pumping, and then consistently pumped every 3 hours until she and I were back together. The first night, I was getting 2.5 oz every time from each side easily. Then it started just droppin to less and less until the last pump I did before seeing her, I got almost 2 from one side and it was a massive struggle and about 1.5 from the other side and it was also a massive struggle.

Now we are back together and I am feeding her, and she does not seem content. First she drained one boob and fussed on that side but I encouraged her to continue just to help me produce more milk on that side before switching her to the other side. Once I did she was happier but I still believe she drained that side also and could have kept going but there was no milk left.

I just gave her the 2nd feed since getting out of the hospital and it was only 2 hours before she was hungry. Even though I did say she does three-hour feeds, she can be unpredictable in the evenings and go 2 hours, 2 1/2, or even one hour but only eat for two or three minutes.

So now I'm so confused! My boobs feel much much more empty than they did before the surgery. She fusses a lot in the evenings, and I'm going to spend all evening thinking it's because she's hungry. I don't want to give her any more formula at all because I know that if she really is hungry she needs to encourage my body to produce milk, but I also don't want to starve my baby.

An interruption to the normal breastfeeding pattern can certainly confuse your boobies. I've been through the same. My son was hospitalized with intussusception two weeks ago and they would not let me feed him. My supply dipped dramatically for 1-2 days afterward, and of course he was fussy and feeding more during that time because he was not being satiated, but it bounced right back after 2 days of him feeding every 1-2 hours. It actually went into oversupply mode.

As for your situation, I personally don't think she is starving even if she is latching for only 2-3 minutes every 2 hours. If she is ravenous, she may be transferring quite a bit of milk during that time because she is eating so fervently. To be sure, you could meet with a lactation consultant and ask her to weigh her before and after feedings to see how many ounces she is transferring. Also, you could discuss it with your Pediatrician and see if he/she has any concerns. They can often write a prescription for a lactation consultant or breast pump in the name of the baby's health.

If she is indeed hungry and unsatiated, I would assume she would just nurse more until your supply comes up to match her need, as you mentioned. It is natural that your boobs are going to feel more empty because they are more empty, but as we are often told an empty breast makes milk faster than a full one.

A couple other things worth mentioning. Are you on painkillers after your surgery? If so, is there a chance that they are dehydrating you and may be affecting your supply? Additionally, could they be making her more sleepy so she is not sustaining a feeding for long enough? Is she nodding off at the breast?

When I went off my painkillers after my C-section, I noticed that my son was a lot less sleepy at the breast and started to eat more without falling asleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->