Help refusing to wear school uniform.UPDATE page 2!!

CormacksGirl

Mum to Adam & #2 on the w
Reaction score
So my five years old has just finished up nursery but is adament that he is not wearing school uniform when he starts school!

He is not into dressing up, so I'm thinking this has a lot to do with it! How do I get round this?

I wouldn't push it too much at the moment. He's still got a couple of months, I know it doesn't sound like much but he might change his mind. Could you perhaps walk him near the school before summer and just comment on how snart they all look in it, and just focus on it in a positive way.

I have no idea really just throwing a few suggestions out there!!!

He's five years old,its required by school that he wears it. Don't give him a choice. All the other kids will be wearing it and he won't want to get in trouble once he's there.

He's five years old,its required by school that he wears it. Don't give him a choice. All the other kids will be wearing it and he won't want to get in trouble once he's there.

Thanks hun. That is my thinking, but I'd rather have him on board with the idea than to have a screaming fit on his first day of school ( I'll have a newborn to handle as well) so I'm wanting it to go as smooth as possible!

I wouldn't push it too much at the moment. He's still got a couple of months, I know it doesn't sound like much but he might change his mind. Could you perhaps walk him near the school before summer and just comment on how snart they all look in it, and just focus on it in a positive way.

I have no idea really just throwing a few suggestions out there!!!

He's been for his vists to school so he's seen the kids wearing their uniforms we even walk down the road to nursery at the same time the kids go to school so I've pointed out how smart and grown up they are in their uniforms, but Adam keeps saying he will look stupid in his! I've even pointed out how myself and his dad have to wear a uniform to work (work clothes) and how police, fire fighters even the midwives all have to wear uniforms but nope he's still adament he'll look stupid:dohh:

I'm gonna give it a rest for now and try nearer the time!

Thank you!x

Just another thought, but has he met his teacher yet? When Ben went in to meet his he was sooo in awe of her!! If she had given him a little talk about how cool the uniform is etc he probably would've sucked it up and done whatever she said!

Lmao I replied just as you did!! And what I said is totally redundant now as he's been in already!

Just another thought, but has he met his teacher yet? When Ben went in to meet his he was sooo in awe of her!! If she had given him a little talk about how cool the uniform is etc he probably would've sucked it up and done whatever she said!

Lmao I replied just as you did!! And what I said is totally redundant now as he's been in already!

Yeah he's met his teacher already! Even the nursery staff have explained about wearing his uniform! I've explained it's the rules and he has to wear it but it's just going in one ear and out the other! I'm beginning to wonder if some of the kids at nursery might've told him he'll look stupid:shrug: guess I've got 6weeks to change his mind:dohh:

ETA If you have anymore ideas keep them coming, cause at the moment I'm praying for a miracle!x

Maybe you could tell him the option is uniform or his pjs to school. I'm sure if u took him to school in his pjs by the time u got there he would willing get dressed in his uniform. a friend of mine did this when her son refused to get dressed in the morning.it worked for her.

Maybe try getting him to wear it round the house just now

Could you take him to choose it? Might get him more interested.

I would totally ignore the issue for now. Then go and buy the uniform half way through the summer holidays. Then again ignore it. On the first day of school give him the option of uniform or pjs and carry the threat through if he still refuses to wear the uniform. Don't spend ages on his first day trying to coerce him into it. If needs be take him to school and dress him in his uniform in the playground or give the uniform to his teacher and explain. As all the other children will be wearing it I would think he'll get used to it pretty quickly.

Thanks for all the replies ladies!:flower:

Just a wee update!

Adam found his uniform (so far just a wooly hat with school emblem, v neck sweatshirt with emblem and his school tie) and asked if these were his "work clothes"?:haha: So I said yes would he like to try them on? So he quite happily tried them on, I then had to spend the next half hour getting them off him. He did ask where his smart black work trousers were and I had to explain that he'll need to come shopping for the rest of his work clothes and to get new shoes and jacket as well! :happydance:

So far so good, think I'll pop back now and again to re read all the advice in case he changes his mind again:dohh: geez my kid is fickle:dohh:

My little boy was the same! He was adamant he would not be wearing a school uniform because 'it wouldn't be comfy to skateboard in' when he came to the realisation he won't be skateboarding at school he just accepted it haha

My DS was the same this time last year. He stropped round the uniform shop and refused to try anything on. He just kept saying the uniform was ugly and he wasn't wearing it.

By the time it was his first day at school, he was keen to get there and put it on without any fuss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->