Help to stop smoking!

Tasha__0x

Reaction score
Hi im 4w 1 pregnant, i smoke and was just wonderin how long it took u to quit and what you did to help you stop smoking?

i have been smoking 4years, and been smokin about 15 a day, i have cut down a litte bit but just need some advice

You could call the NHS Pregnancy Smoking helpline on 0800 169 9 169. They are helpful and non-judgemental, and will let you know what local support is available. There is also a website: https://smokefree.nhs.uk/smoking-and-pregnancy/

Pregnancy is a great motivator. My hubby had tried (and failed) several times to give up, but finally managed when I got pregnant.

Best of luck!

Morning sickness can really put someone off smoking, so if you start feeling too sick for a cigerette, dont force yourself to have one.

Pregnanacy, as asacia says is a great motivator. Smoking does increase the risk of having your baby prematurely too, and I wouldnt wish that experience on anyone in the world.

Best of luck, you need to focus on that little bambino you've got growing there!

I stupidly restarted smoking a bit after expressing milk for weeks, but I'm stuck in the house today and cant get any smokes - so I am stopping TODAY!

Good luck on trying to quit! I'm not much help since I don't smoke but motivation is the key. My dad stopped the minute he found out I was on the way. Never had another cig after that. My mother tried and tried..she claimed she cut down during the pregnancy.. Even to this day she still smokes and she was so close to quitting using my L/O as a motivator to get her to quit so she can be around when he grows up. She was just afew days away from quitting and screwed up one day when I was gone and now she's back to square one. I've watched her struggle with trying to quit for years. I hope you're able to do it. Just think of that L/O! :hugs:

I quit smoking the day I found out for sure I was pregnant. Even though I was a much less frequent smoker than you are, I smoked for at least twice as many years, and it wasn't easy to quit. I still think about smoking sometimes (haven't done it once though!) and I know that after giving birth it's going to be like quitting all over again, since I no longer will have the motivator of keeping LO healthy inside me, you know what I mean? Anyway, if you haven't tried it already, just throw out the cigs and force yourself to sit through cravings no matter how much it drives you crazy- the sooner you quit totally, the better. Once you get past the first few days, it becomes easier and easier. Also, try leaving your cigarette pack open so they get really stale, and then only let yourself smoke stale ones that taste nasty. lol Sounds weird but it helps!

I quit the day i got my BFP, but then 3 days later had 3 cigarettes. Haven't touched them since though, i just needed to get rid of my craving. I did tell my friend before my BFP that cigarettes were tasting weird, as though i could taste all the chemicals in them and i thought i was going off them so it wasnt too bad for me, plus i only smoked around 4-5 a day. My friend used to smoke loads and it took her a couple of months to stop alltogether but in the end she stopped because she was heaving after every drag lol.
Sorry that i don't have any advice but you'll get there in the end if you want to, its all down to will power i think. Good luck! xx

After smoking for over 15 years! i am now a non smoker but it was because i was ready mentally... I set a date to stop and the night before made sure everything to do with smoking was gone.. It was hard i wont lie and sometimes i still think about them but the difference is i dont crave them anymore.. but the initial cravings got fewer and longer inbetween... It is so worth it trust me... I never thought i would give up but now i have i can taste food, smell everything etc... plus i have more money. But the biggest plus is my kids are benefiting from it!

Good luck and i hope you manage to do it.... xxx

One thing that helped me and OH give up was reading that if one parent smokes, a child is 40% more likely to be a smoker as an adult, and if both parents smoke, the child is 70% more likely to be a smoker. Every time I had a craving, I told myself I was going through this craving so my son didn't have to when he was older.

Personally (i may get slated for this) i love smoking and had absolutely no desire to quit b4 i found out i was pregnant and i expect i probably will end up smoking agen once iv finished breastfeeding and tommys bigger (less risk of cot death). If i had just normally tried i wouldnt of made it a day but wen i found out i was pregnant i lost all desire for it. I pictured watching the smoke travel through my body str8 into an innocent little baby in my stomach. Obv i no thats not how it works lol but the image of just watching it travel str8 into him stopped me from considering it. Its a bit more difficult still not doing it now im breastfeeding and i dont have the bump but i just imagine the same thing but str8 into the milk i know he is totally living off.
Its a sacrifice u have to make to make sure ur LO has the best start in life so weneva it gets difficult ust remind urself of wat ur doin 4 them. I found even wen i rlly craved one i would of felt so guilty having it that i wouldnt of enjoyed it so there was no point.
Hope that helped and good luck! x

I quit on the 1st of september this year and have not craved once! I used Allen Carr's (not the comedian lol) book the easy-way. Really effective and works :)
good luck x

i just stopped when i found out and it was really easy for me, saying that i am hoping never to go back to it again this time round

dh has stopped for about 10 weeks now with the help of patches

see your doc or the midwife 9ight refer you for help

good luck x

I've been finding it really hard :( I've been a smoker for 19 years, smoking around 20-25 a day - and I always said that if I got pregnant I would stop - how easy it was to say those words -and in practice I've found it so much harder. The guilt is horrible :(

I cut down to about 6 a day, then tried patches but just wasn't mentally there so kept cheating - not helped by the fact dh smokes so cigarettes are around the house - I kept pinching them!!

I'm nearly there now, every cigarette I do have makes me feel so bad, and I love bean already so much I would hate for something to happen and smoking related or not, to look back and wonder if it was my fault.

My advice for what it's worth, keep trying and trying, don't give up giving up - am determined to get there xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->