We're expecting a little girl and are stuck on names! We love:

1) Indiana Mae
Pros:
It's spunky
It's uncommon where we live
We love the nickname Indy

Cons:
Somebody might make reference to Indiana Jones
We have a long-ish surname (3 syllables) so perhaps this name is too long?

Indigo Mae
Pros:
As above

Cons:
Might be too 'out there' for our family/friends

Amelia Mae
Pros:
We love the nickname Millie and can't think of another full name that we like which could be shortened to Millie.
It's classic and feminine

Cons:
Although I haven't come across this name a lot personally, it does seem to be fairly popular :(

Opinions? Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Of those three, I prefer Amelia Mae. I don't think you should let popularity alone hold you back if its a name you really like. Popular names today aren't as popular as popular names were when we were growing up, if that makes sense.

My second choice would be Indiana Mae. Not a fan of Indigo, sorry.

Indigo is gorgeous, and I agree that Indy is a great nickname. But Indiana? It just seems so tacky and chavvy to me! I'm sorry :blush:

Amelia is fine but literally every second baby girl has that name nowadays!

Of those three, I prefer Amelia Mae. I don't think you should let popularity alone hold you back if its a name you really like. Popular names today aren't as popular as popular names were when we were growing up, if that makes sense.

Thanks! I know I shouldn't let popular names hold me back but I'm also keen to choose something kind of spunky and original. But thanks again :)

Indigo is gorgeous, and I agree that Indy is a great nickname. But Indiana? It just seems so tacky and chavvy to me! I'm sorry :blush:

Thanks! I love Indigo too but DH thinks it might be 'too unusual'. Out of curiosity, do you think Indiana is tacky because it's a state in the US? Just a google search of opinions on that name showed people in the US were less favourable to that name.

I understand what you're saying about Amelia. It's not all that common here but I'm seeing it come up a lot on bnb so I'm guessing popularity will increase!

I'm not so sure about Indigo Millie - I might need to say it aloud a few times :D

I voted Indigo as I just think its a really cool name. If you like Millie so much you could use it as a full name. Millie Mae is cute.

I voted Indigo as I just think its a really cool name. If you like Millie so much you could use it as a full name. Millie Mae is cute.

I think Indigo is a really cool name too. I love Millie but DH thinks it's perfect for a child but not an adult. Though apparently it's 'growing' on him :D

Thanks! I love Indigo too but DH thinks it might be 'too unusual'. Out of curiosity, do you think Indiana is tacky because it's a state in the US? Just a google search of opinions on that name showed people in the US were less favourable to that name.

I understand what you're saying about Amelia. It's not all that common here but I'm seeing it come up a lot on bnb so I'm guessing popularity will increase!

I'm not so sure about Indigo Millie - I might need to say it aloud a few times :D

Probably because it's a state, yeah, though if it wasn't I'd have thought you took it from Indiana Jones! I just don't really like place names (excluding very classic ones like Georgia).

I'm the exception and quite like Indiana...

They can always shorten it to Indy or Anna (if they grown up less "spunky")

But I also know one!! I think that helps with unusual names as you have seen it "work"?

xx

I'm sure you've already ruled it out, and I know it's not on your short list, but do you like the name Camilla or Camille? Because they would go nicely with a middle name Mae (especially Camilla) and can be nicknamed Millie. Just throwing it out there :)

But if not, I like Indigo or Amelia more than Indiana...but that's probably because DH and I plan to get a puppy soon and name it Indy...

I actually like Indigo Mae the best!

Not a fan of Millie, but since you are I do like PP suggestion of Camille/Camillia. There's also Mildred but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea

Amelia Mae I think sounds odd as the M sounds seem a bit much, but that's just my thinking

I love Indiana and I completely disagree its not chavvy at all... ive never heard of a chav with a name even along those lines, on sheer stats alone Amelia is far far more chavvy

Indigo is ok but not my tastes - I like Indiana and Diego but Indigo sounds like the 2 have been smooshed together (yes I know its a colour btw)

I'm the exception and quite like Indiana...

They can always shorten it to Indy or Anna (if they grown up less "spunky")

But I also know one!! I think that helps with unusual names as you have seen it "work"?

xx

You know someone called Indiana? Cool! Yes, we'd probably shorten it to Indy anyway. It's great that you've seen this name work. I live in a country that doesn't really 'do' unusual names lol! Thanks for your input :)

I'm sure you've already ruled it out, and I know it's not on your short list, but do you like the name Camilla or Camille? Because they would go nicely with a middle name Mae (especially Camilla) and can be nicknamed Millie. Just throwing it out there :)

But if not, I like Indigo or Amelia more than Indiana...but that's probably because DH and I plan to get a puppy soon and name it Indy...

Thanks! :)

We HATE the name Camilla though, lol! Reminds me of Prince Charles' wife!

It's funny, I was just chatting with my pregnant cousin who is upset because the two names she likes are 'taken' by dogs too :haha:

I actually like Indigo Mae the best!

Not a fan of Millie, but since you are I do like PP suggestion of Camille/Camillia. There's also Mildred but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea

Amelia Mae I think sounds odd as the M sounds seem a bit much, but that's just my thinking

Funny, as soon as I wrote Amelia Mae out I thought 'too many M's' so yeah, I can see what you're saying. Not a fan of Mildred at all.

Jeez this naming business is hard! We might have to go to our extended list! :)

I love Indiana and I completely disagree its not chavvy at all... ive never heard of a chav with a name even along those lines, on sheer stats alone Amelia is far far more chavvy

Indigo is ok but not my tastes - I like Indiana and Diego but Indigo sounds like the 2 have been smooshed together (yes I know its a colour btw)

You see, I agree there, I don't think 'chavvy' people would call their baby Indiana or anything similar.

Thanks for your input :)

Thanks! I know I shouldn't let popular names hold me back but I'm also keen to choose something kind of spunky and original. But thanks again :)

I can completely understand wanting something different. My personal experience though is that there are more children these days with odd names than there are with common names because there are so many people trying to be original.

That's just my observation from all the playgroups I've been to, and spending the last year working in several schools as a student teacher.

Names are so diverse now and there are many which are made up, or plain didn't exist when we were growing up.

I dont think Bnb is a great reflection of name popularity in the real world or in areas where we live. I've seen a few names on here that I've never come across in real life (may depend on region too.)

Good luck with whatever you choose :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->