help with buying reusable nappys, first time mum

hope88

Reaction score
Hiya im looking to start using reusable nappies but i dont no qhere to start as there are so many different brands out there. Can u get a reusable nappy where u dont have to add inserts or anything like one thats all built in and i can just throw it in the washing machine. Doesnt there poo stain them? How many would i need? What temp do you wash them on? Do you just use normal washing liquid like fairy? Do they need changing more often? Sorry if these are dumb questions im just interested and dont want to waste money buying rubbish ones. My ds is nearly 4 months and 18lb if that makes any difference

In the stickies at the top is a beginner's guide to cloth which you may find useful.

Can u get a reusable nappy where u dont have to add inserts or anything like one thats all built in and i can just throw it in the washing machine.
Yes, called an all in one (AIO). Pockets are similar but the insert comes in an out for washing and drying. A fitted doesn't need inserts etc usually but needs a cover over the top (wrap) to waterproof it.

Doesnt there poo stain them?
Some fabrics are stain resistant to some extent (like minky) and fleece tends to not stain bad. Others can be prone to stains. Sunshine works wonders on stains, doing a cold rinse before washing is good as heat will set stains. You can use a liner (flushable or fleece) to catch poo and protect nappies more against staining. Most of my nappies are white or close to white. You don't generally end up with a load of brown nappies.

How many would i need?
Depends how often you want to wash and what fabrics you use. I have a lot of bamboo fitteds which take ages to dry but some of my pockets and AIOs (especially minky like Totsbots Easyfits v3 and Fuzzi Bunz Elite) dry superfast. You could start with maybe 20-25 nappies and see how you get on. I have loads but I only wash twice a week and like to be able to leave a load at nursery etc.

What temp do you wash them on?
I mainly wash at 40oC (but do a cold rinse first). Though I will do an occasional 60oC wash.

Do you just use normal washing liquid like fairy?
Whatever you normally use but only a small amount and NO FABRIC CONDITIONER! I use Persil powder and just a under a level dessert spoon. I don't know about liquids.

Do they need changing more often?
Maybe. I change about every 4 hours for a fitted usually and 3-4 hours maybe for my pockets and AIOs (I add a bamboo booster to them). I get 12 hours out of my night nappies (I mainly use Wee Notions Night Notions for nighttime). I could probably get away with something like a LIttle Lamb bamboo at night as my daughter isn't an especially heavy wetter, but it would be soaked!

Sorry if these are dumb questions im just interested and dont want to waste money buying rubbish ones. My ds is nearly 4 months and 18lb if that makes any difference
Try a few different brands and see what you like and what works for you. If you are on Facebook you should like cloth nappy stores and you'll find info of offers. If you are comfortable with used nappies there are lots of preloved groups on FB just for nappies and a buy/sell section on here.

Thank you so much for taking the time to snswer all my question this has helped alot

I'd suggest you find a nappy library, and try some different nappies out before you buy anything. Some nappies fit some babies better than others. The true AIO system nappies tend to be more expensive than others, and take a long time to dry. Pocket nappies, although they do need stuffing, dry much more quickly, so you won't need nearly as many. Some nappies are called AIO's when they are actually pockets as well, which can be confusing, so read the information clearly, if you buy over the internet.

We did the nappy trial offered here: https://www.fill-your-pants.com/cloth-nappy-trial/nappy-trial.html

Lots of websites do similar trials - I knew nothing about reuseables before we did the trial. We decided we liked the tots bots nappies - they are an all in or nappy, come in fab colours and fit our LO really well. They are so easy to wash and dry super fast! Would def recommend them x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->