Help with CV and job applications

Char&Bump-x

Me and her
Reaction score
Hello :flower:

I had a back to work meeting at the jobcentre last week and was told i'd be £100 a week better off working 16 hours so i am now looking for part time work.

My trouble is i don't have a CV and i have no clue how to write a good one when i have no skills! I've worked in 2 retail shops but they were a long time ago, i finished the second when i was 3 months pregnant!

Does anyone have any advice on how to work round the fact that i haven't worked in 3 and a half years?

What sort of things to i put in a personal statement?

I have a national diploma in travel and tourism but obviously this isn't all that handy :lol:

TIA

No one has no skills and any experience however old it is better than no experience at all.

You can get lots of advice on writting CVs on the internet. Try https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/employment/jobseekers/helpapplyingforajob/dg_173655

There is no need to hide that you haven't worked in a while. Show the positives of your career break by showing the skills you used when caring for your child.

Any qualification shows a level of education. My boss for example has a degree in sports media no relevance what so ever to what we do.

Your interests can also show more about you than you think. Do you have hobbies that you can use to show hidden skills?

Good luck with finding a job :thumbup:

I have a little tip for you:

When you look at a job advert there is usually a description of what the job entails and what sort of person they are looking for. So when you fill in your form (and you can also do this on your cv) try and think about examples of skills and experience you have that fit in with the job description. It doesn't necessarily have to be experience from your working life either.

For example the job advert says they are looking for someone with good organisational and planning skills you could talk about how you've planned parties or even just organising your time in order to get the kids sorted, housework done etc.. even if you don't have much actual experience from previous employment the employer won't necessarily dismiss your application if you can show that you possess the right skills to be able to do the job.

I hope that makes sense.

Good luck! xx

Hey hun, Just because you haven't worked in a while doesn't mean you've lost the experience or skills. CV wise include things you have learnt from having a baby, organisation, time keeping, patience etc. If you are finding it hard to find a job as you dont have enough relevant experience, have you thought about volunteering a little to get some more experience?

I was told I didn't have enough experience to work in a coffee shop, so I now volunteer in a charity shop (for the cash handling side) and an elderly coffee shop (obviously for food serving etc), it shows dedication and enthusiasm, plus volunteering doesn't affect JSA x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->