Help with hospital or home?

angel2010

Cart & Emma's mom, 1mc
Reaction score
I am so torn about what to do with my birth. I have found a great doctor that is very pro-vbac. I have heard amazing things about him and pretty good things about the hospital as well. I really want a home water birth. I am unsure if there are any midwives in the area that would take me on, but I am 90% sure I can find a few. I can't decide which route I want to take. One of the things that worries me is that my dr already told me he DOES NOT recommend a home birth with a vbac at all. So I worry that if I choose a midwife, that I wouldn't be able to go to him for scans and stuff and that I would be burning my bridges with him. I know it is a decision only I can make, but I honestly don't know. I know that I obviously still have a while, but I would want to start meeting with midwives to choose one around 12 weeks I think. I almost wish I didn't like my ob so much, then the decision would be easier. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

If I were you, I'd probably meet with the midwives and just get a feel for them. You might find one you like far more than your doctor!

The only thing I'd say to definitely avoid is making a decision based on pleasing your doctor. I totally get not wanting to burn bridges, I have a similar situation here having very few OB options, but in the end, I know I have to choose the birth I want the most, the one I am most comfortable with, because my comfort levels makes a HUGE difference in the success of the labor/delivery.

I would ask your DR how he supports vbac, he might say he supports it but might insist on constant monitoring, pitocin and an epidural which all increase your risks of needing another section, that might help you make your choice.

If I were you, I'd probably meet with the midwives and just get a feel for them. You might find one you like far more than your doctor!

The only thing I'd say to definitely avoid is making a decision based on pleasing your doctor. I totally get not wanting to burn bridges, I have a similar situation here having very few OB options, but in the end, I know I have to choose the birth I want the most, the one I am most comfortable with, because my comfort levels makes a HUGE difference in the success of the labor/delivery.

I plan to meet with a few, and will likely like them all better. I just want to still be able to use him for scans and if a hospital birth ends up being required. I am worried if he finds out he will be no longer willing to see me.

I would ask your DR how he supports vbac, he might say he supports it but might insist on constant monitoring, pitocin and an epidural which all increase your risks of needing another section, that might help you make your choice.

He is very supportive of vbacs and natural birth in general. He has done over 500 vbacs, more than all of the doctors in my area combined! I heard great reviews about him and he was amazing at my pap smear app where we brought up my last birth and talked about vbac. That is why I want him in my corner, so to speak.

Why does he not recommend a hoebirth for a VBAC? Is it bc he believes it is inherently dangerous, and if so, maybe he is not quite as pro-VBAC as he seems?

Just talk to a few MWs in your area and take it from there :)

I dont have advice on the VBAC part, but I can you my situation.

I considered a home birth, really thought about it. But im going for an all natural hospital birth again. I love my OBGYN, shes amazing, fully supportive of natural births, but being an OBGYN she doesnt do home births. I feel confident and safe with her and I know she will follow my birth plan as well as my prenatal plan. Finding that trust in someone who is ultimatly dealing with your life and your babys life is hard to find, and I feel lucky and also relieved to have someone so understanding and supportive.

The two hospitals I have a choice of dont offer water births, the 3rd does but its over 2 hours away and I dont fancy giving birth on the side of HWY 55!

If your set on a home birth, Id talk to your OBGYN and let him know your considering it but havent made any definate plans, also ask him if he has any recommendations for midwives, you might be surprised, he cant do home births, but he may know some great people who can! Make it clear to him that you want his prenatal care and also let him know you want to set up a "backup plan" should you need to go to hospital.

Also find out if any of the hospitals he practices in have the options for a water birth!

*hugs*

Why does he not recommend a hoebirth for a VBAC? Is it bc he believes it is inherently dangerous, and if so, maybe he is not quite as pro-VBAC as he seems?

I think he does think this, he looked right at me and said "I never recommend a vbac at home with a midwife". :shrug:

I dont have advice on the VBAC part, but I can you my situation.

I considered a home birth, really thought about it. But im going for an all natural hospital birth again. I love my OBGYN, shes amazing, fully supportive of natural births, but being an OBGYN she doesnt do home births. I feel confident and safe with her and I know she will follow my birth plan as well as my prenatal plan. Finding that trust in someone who is ultimatly dealing with your life and your babys life is hard to find, and I feel lucky and also relieved to have someone so understanding and supportive.

The two hospitals I have a choice of dont offer water births, the 3rd does but its over 2 hours away and I dont fancy giving birth on the side of HWY 55!

If your set on a home birth, Id talk to your OBGYN and let him know your considering it but havent made any definate plans, also ask him if he has any recommendations for midwives, you might be surprised, he cant do home births, but he may know some great people who can! Make it clear to him that you want his prenatal care and also let him know you want to set up a "backup plan" should you need to go to hospital.

Also find out if any of the hospitals he practices in have the options for a water birth!

*hugs*

Neither or our hospitals have tubs.:growlmad:

I have had 3 V-bacs and none of them had any complications. I just recently contacted a mid-wife as I am newly pregnant with #5, and told them that I would be V-bac and they were completely comfortable with that idea, so I would ask the mid-wives that you meet how comfortable they are or aren't about a V-bac, and go from there :)

I think he does think this, he looked right at me and said "I never recommend a vbac at home with a midwife". :shrug:

I would be cautious about using an attendant who is fearful of the kind of birth you want. This is so central to being able to trust your care provider. It is a shame not to capitalise on the rapport you already have with this person, but IMO that is not enough and you can get that kind of rapport with another person if you give yourself the opportunity :)

I understand not wanting to burn bridges...my original obgyn for my daughter was actually my family doctor. I left without warning to go to a midwife instead and tbh I'm dreading next year when I have to go to my doctor to get my medicine renewed lol. But I was not totally happy with the care I was getting from him...and I was worried I wouldn't get my perfect birth...so I made the choice to go with a midwife and I don't regret it for a second.

If you want a home birth then go for it. Don't do something just to please your doctor. Plus, in the end the ob is only there for the delivery. So even if you like him, the hospital is mostly in charge of your care and can try to push you to do what you don't want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->