Help with Ittis, what am I doing wrong?

New2Bumps

Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys
Reaction score
Got my Itti SIOs today, my first real nappies, and was sooooooo excited to put one on Ethan. Well I popped it on and I think I'm doing something wrong. It seems a good fit but when he lifts his legs there is a MASSIVE gap under his legs (bottom side lol) so the nappy would clearly leak. I know the real nappies might not fit as well as disposables but this can't be right? It's as if there is too much in the nappy and so the elastic wont reach his legs, or maybe his legs aren't chunky enough. The nappy has the tri fold absorbable bit in and then the liner, this is right isn't it? He was early and so has quite skinny legs. Does this mean real nappies are not for us :(

All nappies are different so it doesn't mean real nappies aren't for you, Itti's might just not be a great fit on your LO, what size do you have him in? x

hi hun, i had the same problem with Daisy till she was about 4 (ish) months as she had skinny skinny legs....is he a heavy wetter? if not you might get away with just using the hourglass shaped pad, that way you should get a bit of a better fit. either that or you could try an AIO Itti, they tend not to be as 'rigid' as the SIO.

If these are the only cloth you have tried i would try something else as different nappies give different fits :D

Thanks girls
I have him in a small - he's 10lb now but tall rather than wide.
I have some little lambs to try too but tbh I'm not keen on the seperates with wraps anymore.
I guess I should try some other AIOs but they all seem so much more bulky than the lovely ittis!
I'll try just the hourglass pad and see if it fits better too :)

Also, dont worry too much about a small gap, the bamboo absorbs very quickly. They gaped on Theo a little til recently and I got stroppy with them and only used them once or twice a day but since he reached more towards the 11lb mark they are perfect!

Squish, does that mean your LO has skinny legs like mine? What did you use that didn't gape?

he did have skinny legs, hes heavy but is VERY long, he seems to be the spot on shape for them not hes long and slim in the waist but hes got chunkier thighs now.
The best fits on him when his thighs were skinnier were anything with gussets (Pop-Ins, nature babies stuffables etc) and the new bamboozle stretchie...they are amazing and I LOVE them. They are what we are using on Freddie as hes less than 7lb and SUPER skinny in the leg (size 1s on Freddie size 2s on Theo) if you wanted to go for something guaranteed to fit go for them, because they are super soft and super stretchy they just mould to any shape and they sit so nicely and dont dig in anywhere....
I decided to branch into wool specifically go to over the stretchie bamboozles...haha

I fell out with ittis and sold all of mine after too much SIO gaping and not enough AIO absorbency. tbh, "pretty" nappies are starting to annoy me. I've made a last ditch effort by ordering some sized WN pockets to see if those work better.

I just get the feeling that, until she's filling out her btps (she currently looks so uncomfortable, like a weebl, in them) then my love affair with flips is going to prevail.

I've jus pmed you again but i thought maybe fuzzi bunz would work too because of the adjustable leg? They are a bit fiddley to start with but once you find a fit they're good. Agree with the stuffables too.

grrr im getting wing droop from mine,
the blueberry os seems to fit well though :)

Imi has chunky legs and SIOs have always been fab for us. Don't give up on cloth hun because as babies change shape, different nappies will suit :D

I bought an itti and Darwin just pooped and weed out of onto his vest lol. I used both the boosters which made it too bulky I think and made it gape at the legs. Might try again with one of the pads.

I bought an itti and Darwin just pooped and weed out of onto his vest lol. I used both the boosters which made it too bulky I think and made it gape at the legs. Might try again with one of the pads.

We had the same issue, the thing is I cant get it tight enough on the poppers without squeezing the life out of Chloe!! I deff think velcro is for us, shame they dont come in velcro, plus OH and his big fat fingers cant do the poppers up, so much flaffing about. I maybe well be selling my small itti SIO, think I will keep one and try again when her legs are a little bigger!

i have the same issue with our SIO.. but i did find that if i fold the trifold a bit wider (ie to tough the elastic each side.. the gaping would go... worth a try ;)

My AIO's fit very nicely :)

i have the same issue with our SIO.. but i did find that if i fold the trifold a bit wider (ie to tough the elastic each side.. the gaping would go... worth a try ;)

What do you mean hun? I get about folding it wider but do you mean you fold it so that it stick out of the elastic??

Think I'll order a couple of Fuzzi Bunz to try and will look into the Nature Babies too.
Ethan is in a Little Lamb today and I've found the Swaddlebees small wrap fits well. The Motherease xs wrap is massive stilL! He seems really trussed up in it compared to disposables lol xxx

Noah was just over 12lbs last time he was weighed and we rarely leak from his small AIO ittis, i love them and he is long and lean with lean legs. I'd say give them a go.

What do you mean hun? I get about folding it wider but do you mean you fold it so that it stick out of the elastic??

Think I'll order a couple of Fuzzi Bunz to try and will look into the Nature Babies too.
Ethan is in a Little Lamb today and I've found the Swaddlebees small wrap fits well. The Motherease xs wrap is massive stilL! He seems really trussed up in it compared to disposables lol xxx

No to the point it is just covered by the outside but covering the whole width of the nappy basically.. *if your still confused ill make a pic sometime today LOL

thats way the itti sides dont have to reach up that far to cover the insert (ie not the tri layer as on the sides it will only be 2 layer and in the middle where it crosses 3..).. it just seems to fit a bit better for me that way (specially when bubs was abit smaller)..

Sam you even confuzzled me lol! do you mean to fold it so the two edges meet in the middle but not overlap?

Sam you even confuzzled me lol! do you mean to fold it so the two edges meet in the middle but not overlap?

LOL :rofl: Almost..

I tend to still fold it in three but it only overlaps in the middle.. god this is so hard to explain LOL

Excuse the awe full drawing :haha:, i would have made a pic but Cole's asleep and i dont have a SIO handy..

If it's still unclear (which wouldn't surprise me with my drawing skills) then ill take a pic when he is awake again :dohh:

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member