Help with pumping

HBGirl

Reaction score
My DD is in ICU on a vent with a feeding tube. She has been EBF for her whole life. I now suddenly have to pump exclusicely. My milk has taken a knock from stress and not sleeping. Now that she is vented I can relax that she is safe and concentrate on getting milk for her.

I am following the power pumping schedule and taking fenugreek, eating oats and staying hydrated. What else can I do to ensure supply?

It may be worth asking your hospital if you can pump while there using their pump. Hospital grade pumps usually are a lot better and if you get a double, pump from both breasts at the same time.

Pump as regularly as you can and build up a supply because if anything was to happen and you miss a pumping session, it is better to have enough milk stored.

I was told the best time to pump is during the night (I exclusively pumped with my 1st son) but if you feel a good nights sleep is better then maybe do a long pump before you go to bed (like a cluster feed) and if you are allowed to, try and have as much contact your your LO as that should help too.

I hope your daughter is okay xx

Thank you. I own a hospital grade pump luckily. I will keep as it, its just so rough on my nipples.

DD should be ok if she tolerates being taken off the vent.

Have you checked to make sure you have the right size flange (cup)
I found out i was using the wrong size (too small) and thats why my nipple ended up with a white ring around it after every feed.

xx

I put lanolin on my nipples before I pump - I have a hospital grade one as well and before I started doing that, it was so painful! The lanolin helps grease things up so there is less friction... Sooo much better.

Good idea, will use coconut oil. Thanks.

I've found that fenugreek tea really helps as well, there are several brands of "mama's milk" teas! For me it seems to work better than the fenugreek pills. It also gives you some extra hydration

Pumping for 5 minutes past when your milk has stopped helps to increase supply

Pumping regularly for short periods also helps. Bit like cluster feeding. Hope your lo is on the mend soon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->