herbal supplements

aquaflora2

Reaction score
Hello moms! Anybody took herbal supplements (mainly tea?) that helps with lactation? i know there's funigreek (sp?) but I heard people with history of asthma shouldn't take it? I have asthma, so I'm staying away from that. What about others? is Blessed thistle the same as milk thistle? do they really help and what side effects have you experience? how much do you need to take to see an effect? other types of herbs????? I'm on Domperidone, just getting some milk but still not enough to EB. Thanks!

I took fenugreek and blessed thistle. My experience was NOT a good one. A side effect of one of them, don't remember which one, is nausea, and I threw up constantly for 4 days and ended up in the hospital with extreme dehydration and weakness. Can't help you further than that, hope you have a better experience.

I'm asthmatic (I take a preventer twice a day, and it's one of the stronger ones at that) and I've been taking fenugreek without any problems. To be honest I didn't even know that it could cause a problem!

I'm asthmatic (I take a preventer twice a day, and it's one of the stronger ones at that) and I've been taking fenugreek without any problems. To be honest I didn't even know that it could cause a problem!

UM......I could be wrong about funugreek and asthma. I think im gona try Mother's milk tea first to see if i can handle those herbs..

Have you tried eating oats? Its supposed to increase your supply. It works for some, but not for others. Alfalfa is another herb that may increase milk supply.

Have you tried eating oats? Its supposed to increase your supply. It works for some, but not for others. Alfalfa is another herb that may increase milk supply.

I tried oats and its not obvious for me. Seems like lactogenic food doesn't have that much of an effect on me..........

My understanding - which may be flawed, so do consult a herbalist - is that fenugreek increases prolactine. But if you don't have enough prolactin receptors, it won't do much for you. Goat's rue helps create receptors. So sometimes mums have to take them together.

But if a herb is powerful enough to do good, it is powerful enough to do harm. Either herbs are effective, or they are not. If they are, then they do need treating with respect....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->