Hideous blog

Kess

Reaction score
Came across this when looking for studies on consuming the placenta (trying to decide whether to do placenta encapsulation or make a print with it):

https://skepticalob.blogspot.com/

The blog author is vehemently (very vehemently) anti-HB, anti-waterbirth, anti-natural birth, etc. and spends a lot of time arguing that they are dangerous. :growlmad:

ergh, shan't be pointing people in it's direction any time soon.

I prefer mamabirth and midwifethinking!

It['s not that "Dr Amy" is it. <<eyeroll>> I do NOT like that SOB....

from her list of 12 myths:

12. Women are designed to give birth.

Women are not "designed": they have evolved and evolution involves trade offs. Babies with big heads tend to be more neurologically mature, so having a big neonatal head has evolutionary advantages. A small maternal pelvis makes it easier for a woman to walk and run, providing her with an evolutionary advantage. Those two advantages are often incompatible. The woman with a small pelvis may have been able to survive by outrunning wild animals, but when it came time to give birth, she was more likely to die because that small pelvis could not accommodate a large neonatal head.

This helped me understand where she's coming from. I completely disagree, which is why i am wanting things to go natural, but there was a time in my life where I would have agreed with her, and been more into medical births.

lol Dr Amy. Yeah, she's awful. She kind of trolls a lot of natural/home/water birthing blogs as well.

lol Dr Amy. Yeah, she's awful. She kind of trolls a lot of natural/home/water birthing blogs as well.

Really? That's funny b/c i saw some of the comments on some of her posts, and she responded by accusing others of trolling, or would just dismiss someone by saying, "no facts." :wacko:

i told my DH about it, and he was like, why is she so angry?!

I don't even remember what blogs I was reading, but I only knew about her because she'd come onto others' blogs telling them how unsafe/awful/horrible they were for thinking about/promoting etc home and natural birthing.

from her list of 12 myths:

12. Women are designed to give birth.

Women are not "designed": they have evolved and evolution involves trade offs. Babies with big heads tend to be more neurologically mature, so having a big neonatal head has evolutionary advantages. A small maternal pelvis makes it easier for a woman to walk and run, providing her with an evolutionary advantage. Those two advantages are often incompatible. The woman with a small pelvis may have been able to survive by outrunning wild animals, but when it came time to give birth, she was more likely to die because that small pelvis could not accommodate a large neonatal head.

This helped me understand where she's coming from. I completely disagree, which is why i am wanting things to go natural, but there was a time in my life where I would have agreed with her, and been more into medical births.

Thing is, if that woman with the smaller pelvis died when having her first child because her pelvis couldn't accommodate the baby's head, then she was not passing on her genes for a too-small pelvis. No matter how good she was at outrunning wild animals, if she didn't breed and pass on her genes, then the genetic fault she had of having a pelvis too small to birth a baby died with her. None of us are decended from women like her.

Kess, didn't you know that we women ONLY started walking around on two legs around the time doctors were invented to help pull that too-big baby out of the too small pelvis!? :haha:

Cannot BELIEVE the woman is (apparently) a doctor and does not seem to know about relaxin, or the fact that babies' heads are squashy.... And of course she doesn't know that the pelvis is mobile and can open; she has always seen women on their BACK, whose pelvises cannot open this much and will therefore likely have more trouble accommodating their giant-headed offspring.... She is SO utterly ridiculous that I have sometimes wondered if she is a persona created by a natural birth nut, to support their side by showing how ridiculous the medical model is for most pregnancies and births.... :haha:

^^ actually whatever blog I was reading (Wish I could remember) was theorizing she wasn't real at all, that no one with that name had graduated the school she said she did in the year she did and so on.

https://skepticalob.blogspot.com/2011/07/midwives-responsible-for-nearly-13-of.html

:growlmad:

I stay away from her blog. I use to read it for a good laugh because she was clearly the idiot, not the other women she was complaining about, but then it became the same old crap over and over and over.

She isn't a Doctor. She was at one time, for about 6 years back in the late 80s and early 90s. Then she retired to be a SAHM to her kids. She hasn't been in the medical field since. Her statments are unfounded. She is welcome to have whatever opinion it is that she wants, but she is a complete immature bully about it.

And when I use to read her blog some of her posts were just so ridiculous. She is anti anything that hasn't to do with medicine or Doctors. Seriously, one time she said that eating a well balanced diet with fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc wouldn't really do anything for your health :wacko: Once she made that statment I stopped reading her crap. That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, Doctor or not.

Im not sure if I dare look, cant.....stop.....myself.....clicking tho

Don't do it Cranberry!

Am I the only one with will power around here? Must be my mantra - "eliminate the toxic people from your life" :)

its like picking a scab, you know its gonna do no good but its just gotta be done. I had a quick look and the tone of it was so patronising and dismissive of any view other than her own i didnt bother looking at much. one post about a woman who didnt want to be induced at bang on 40w, the one sentence response that "dr" (who btw is supposed to be in a caring profession) made just made me sad.

Oooh I'd disagree - I love picking scabs!

Virtual online scabs though, I stay well away, been there and done that before and it hasn't increased my quality of life ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->