High blood pressure - dr. didn't seem to care :-/

lexey_7

Reaction score
Hiya ladies

Just a little bit confused really :shrug:
I haven't been feeling right for about a week, not really ill just.. off.
My heart always seems to be racing and I've felt dizzy and keep getting squiggly lines in my eyes.
I rang the docs today and asked if I could come in and check my blood pressure to be on the safe side. I saw the nurse and she was nice, listened to all my concerns and said my pulse was quite high and my blood pressure was 150/100 which was high so told me to sit back on the waiting room and she would get the doctor. When I saw the doctor it was 160/110 which she said was high but found no trace of protein in my urine so said I was fine.

I got home and googled.. always a mistake:dohh:
It said that 160/110 is really high but doctor didn't think it was a problem so am I ok?
Is it just a pregnant thing?

Thanks ladies, I'm just a worrier:flower:

(On a plus note just ordered my nursery furniture and can't wait to be able to get everything all sorted for her :happydance:)

With blood pressure that high, your doctor should have at least prescribed something to help lower it. What is your normal blood pressure? x

get a midwife appointment..................i had high bp and it passed but i was checked evry few days and if it had continued i would have been admitted (ido have other complications) but if in doubt ask again

It's normally about 120/75, I didn't really understand much of what it's supposed to be until I got home and googled :nope:
She wasn't my normal doctor.. he's more of a straight to the hospital kind of man!
I'm a bit confused now as to whether I'm meant to just carry on plodding along or what really :shrug:
Xx

I had my Bp and urine tested today,a trace of protein found in urine but midwife said its fine would only b concerned if I had high Bp with it but I didn't.She said the 2 together is a sign of pre eclampsia.i wud ring my midwife though with it been that high

Definitely call and ask for a second opinion! I just had an appointment today and my blood pressure has went from normal to 138/90, and the only thing that saved me from being scheduled for an induction ASAP is the fact that my mom is a nurse and my OB is letting her monitor me until Friday to see if it goes back down. (It did get me signed off of work at least!) I had to pinky swear I'd call immediately if I developed a headache or started to see spots, which is sounds like you already have.

If they keep brushing you off can you go to the hospital and get checked out?

With that BP alone you need to go and get checked over again- this needs treatment. I can't believe this Dr let you go home. Please call labour ward and tell them ASAP.

That is so surprising to me. Even without protein in your urine, high blood pressure can be dangerous. I have high blood pressure but not pre-eclempsia. I've been taken off work, am on medication (though my blood pressure is chronic and I was on meds even before being pregnant - but my dosage has gone way up), and I am being induced on Thursday. I would make another appointment asap for another opinion.

Call triage/l&d and tell the mw and get advice from them as that's too high. You should have been sent to daycare to be monitored

The doctor I saw is a dermatologist, I'm sure she's very good and well qualified but I think it would put my mind more at rest to speak to my midwife :-/ hopefully it won't look like I've undermined her and gone behind her back.
Kitteh_kat - I hope your oki and it goes back down :hugs:

Thanks for all your advice :) I'm going to give her a ring now xx

A dermatologist?! Thats a.doctor that specializes in skin care..... 160/110 is way to high, protein or.not. they should have at the very least prescribed you a.medication to lower it, if not admitted.you! Definately call for a second opinion! Thats very dangerous!

With a high bp I thought you had to be tested high on more than one occasion. Especially if it's usually in the normal range. As it could just be a one off and taking tablets for it is a huge thing so they don't just prescribe them after one high test.

It should be monitored though so perhaps see if you can get it checked again to see if its jigh again or was a one off.

Borderline raised BP is around 140/90- this you would keep a close eye on and make a plan of care, regular BP/urine/ symptom checks.

Lexey's BP on 2 occasions were over this therefore needing immediate treatment and investigations plus she was complaining of some pre eclampsia symptoms. PET can be slow developing but when it hits the monitoring of mum & baby are paramount. Hopefully they can exclude PET but you really should have been referred by the Dr earlier.

It doesn't necessarily mean PET, but it could be PIH, which should be looked at further. I hope you were able to speak to someone.

This happened to me a couple weeks ago. The first midwife I saw didn't care at all then the second one put me on bed rest immediately, did extensive blood tests, and has had me coming back twice ever week. I would get a second opinion. :hugs:

Definitely call for a second opinion! Especially since you've been having headaches and blurry vision. My BP was a little higher than normal last week (it has since stayed steady but not too high) and my doc told me if I had any intense headaches or blurry vision to go to the hospital immediately as it could be Pre-E. I don't want to worry you but it needs to be taken seriously!

Please please please go to your labor and delivery unit to be assessed by a proper obstetrician. I had silent pre eclampsia that almost killed me last pregnancy it's not a joke. I never had protein in urine and my Bp was just borderline high.... Want until I was in labor that things went crazy. Pre eclampsia is serious. Your blood pressure is crazy high and you should be admitted protein or not. Please go check that baby is doing ok. Don't want to alarm but do not take it lightly. A dermatologist is not an obstetrician.

Thank you so much for all your advice ladies :flower:

I rang midwife and she said that as there was no protein it isn't preeclampsia as I'd have to have that aswell and swelling. She told me to rest as much as I can and that she'd come into the surgery Thursday morning to check it again but to call straight away if I get any headaches or swelling.
Keeping my fingers crossed everything will be ok.

Lalia - so sorry you had that awful experience, it shows how scary it is that they fob you off and tell you everything is fine when there's things really wrong.

If its still really high on Thursday and nobody seems to care then I'm going to say that I'm not happy and I think they should try and do something.

Thank you again xxx

They absolutely should not have prescribed something because if it was a one off reading or it goes up and down giving medication to lower it would be highly dangerous! They should have arranged to check in in at least a week though. No protein doesn't mean it won't turn into pre-eclampsia, in my last pregnancy I had hypertension which developed into pre-eclampsia and it started off just as slowly rising BP and I still had to have many tests twice a week based on that alone. At my last MW last week I went from my normal low-normal reading to mid-normal and admittedly I am high-risk to get it again but I still had to get checked again today a week later even though my MW knows I have a BP monitor and urine analysis sticks at home (as I expected it was due to stress last week). So I am really glad your midwife was better and has made an appointment soon for you.

Please do call L&D if you have the slightest worry before your appointment. When it comes to pre-eclampsia it is always better safe than sorry. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->