High Blood Sugar - Food tips?

discohospital

Reaction score
I was told today my blood sugar was 173 (should be below 140) and I have to go back in Friday for a second test.

My OB's office told me to avoid sweets for now and they would tell me more after this second test.

But! I'd like to start eating better immediately. I knew I was being awful!

Anybody who had gestational diabetes, could you share a few things you were partial to eating? I'm going to up my veggies and protein, but anything else?

I was eating lots of carbs due to nausea, but I read that is also a problem due to the way carbs metabolize into glucose. I knew that already, but my weight has been on track so I told myself I was doing ok :\ Chocolate is the only real craving I get with pregnancy, so of course we have unlimited free sweets at work, plus my hubby is a choco-addict :wacko:

Hiya,

I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. To be honest the advice wasn't great that I got. I got more info from here and a friend who was also recently diagnosed. I can't tolerate cereals at breakfast at all. Some people say fruit makes them high. I was told to like half of my plate with veg/salad and a quarter with protein and a quarter with good carbs like pasta.

There is a GD thread in the gestational complications section here. My friend also swears by a GD page on Facebook but I haven't been on it.

Also, I have severe health anxiety and don't feel like I'm coping. Others have also said they have been up and down since being diagnosed....
Hope that helps ��

I was told cereals, and fruits in the morning can ( cereal all the time ) will spike you. It's alot of looking at the serving sizes and portions. If you have x amount of carbs, you need to have that half of that of protein. As well as snacking twice a day between meals.

Hey disco,
Sorry you’re dealing with this. I’ve had 3 GD pregnancies and this one started at 22 weeks! It sucks. The dietician can sometimes give you really crappy advice and they are a bit behind the times. Newer studies are saying low carb is safe for pregnancy so you can stick to mostly veggies proteins and healthy fats.

So you can just try a Lower carb diet. My dietician got mad at me one day for having a taco salad for dinner, because “where are the carbs”?? Honestly.

But In the meantime, yeah no candy or sweeets. Trade out anything white and refined for high fibre and whole grain. Brown rice, whole wheat bread and pasta. Try smaller portions of carbs at all your meals and up the proteins and veggies. Then see what your blood sugar is doing with those types of meals and if it’s good then great! If not then you can try lower carb.

Thank you for all of your tips! I will go find that group now, thank you!

The annoying thing for me is I had nausea up to like 25 weeks and the kitchen made me gag. I was eating take out etc. but even with that diet, by the second tri I still hadn't gained a single pound so I started eating more carbs because they sat better, and also sweets because I craved them. I gained 9 pounds in a month, so when I told the Dr. I was nauseated and could only stomach eating cr*ppy stuff they wouldn't give me medication on the grounds I had gained 9 pounds in a month. So I kept eating what didn't make me sick and what I craved, and now I have high blood sugar :( I can't blame them 100%, but I think if they had given me nausea meds when I asked, I may've been able to cook myself half decent food. Oh, well.

I've now cut out all sweets. I already preferred brown rice and breads, but am avoiding refined stuff. Let's see how that goes. Thank you, ladies <3

I don't think GD is preventable, so don't feel bad. It's all to do with your placenta.

I had GD last pregnancy but don't this pregnancy. However I have been told to try to stay low card and it's SO HARD with nausea....I feel I can only tolerate carbs. Sigh.

Anyways the best advice I got last time was to read labels and have the carbs be less or equal to the protein, fiber and fat combined so even it out. SO actually higher fat and fiber in addition to protein because they all slow down blood sugar spikes.

Limit carbs in the morning and take a 10 minute walk after meals.

Go for only whole wheat/ oats and whole grain when you DO eat those types of food. I always think 'low Glycemic Index' when I buy carbs.

:hugs:

Allie you&#8217;re so lucky you managed to escape GD this time!! Good for you &#8212; I bet it&#8217;s a more enjoyable third tri so far this time!!

Definitely!! It's so weird not having it!!!!

Select Foods High in Fiber. Research shows that eating a diet with sufficient fiber can keep you healthy. ... Most of these foods also contain carbohydrate, but they are healthy sources of carbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->