High Bmi and Section?

Laraa

Mummy to a PrincEss.xxxxx
Reaction score
I saw my consultant today. i had a emergency section with my first over 2 years ago and due to my experience wanted an elective this time around.

The consultant told me risks of both birthing options and left it for me to decide. She did however stress that my bmi was above norm and therefore had risks in section. My bmi hasnt changed much from my last pregnancy neither has my weight. I dont know im slightly confused now and feel like poo about my bmi now. I hvnt gained an enourmous amount of weught in the pregnancy so far either, but shes made me feel crap about myself and confused me totally in what birthing option i should go for.

Shes booked me in anyway and said if i change my mind i can cancell it. I just need abit of advice.
She also said if i opt for a normal birt its likely itmay end up in a emergency section, im sooo confused :(

Not much advice for you but my BMI is higer than normal too and after my emergancy section i recovered very well, had no problems associated with a csection at all! My BMI did not hinder my recovery at all, they do like to scare us don't they?
Just because you 'could' have problems doesn't mean you will, anyone with a 'normal' BMI can have these problems too, they like to use BMI to make us feel rubbish now. I recovered better than most with a normal BMI, my BMI now is less than it was when i had my section so when i opt for an elective this time, they won't be putting me off by using my BMI, these problems can happen to anyone after a major op.

Don't let BMI influence your choices, if you believe its best for you and baby then it probably is, chances are you could do it either way and have no problems. I think its personal choice xx

Hello I had a high bmi when i first got pregnant, although it was under the number that means you need consultant led care. They only weighed me at my initial appointment and 12 week scan (and that was only as part of a research study they were undertaking). On the day of my c-section they came and asked lots of questions and filled out all of the forms and the nurse asked my weight but I hadnt weighed myself and it hadn't been done at any appointments and when the surgeon and anethetist came round to see me before hand they weren't interested in weighing me and didnt seem that bothered about my weight. Good luck with what ever you decide x

Sweetie a higher than average bmi is always an extra risk in surgery and healing afterwards but it doesn't stop you having a c-section or healing after it, I think healthcare professionals are just programmed to go on about it these days! Don't worry about it, if you need a section you need one and I'm sure you'll do fine. I work in vascular surgery and if someone needs an amputation we don't say sorry your bmi is too high we just get on with making them better afterwards! xx

Thanks for your replies. I am aware as many of us are that high bmi does cause more risks but the way they go on about it honestly does not help. They can be so insensitive. I had high bmi with my first section and i felt i coped very well. I just felt so bad the way she went on and she werent exactly thin herself which was quite annoying really.

There is always a slightly higher risk with being over weight because of healing and admisterting drugs and what not, but to make u feel like she did was unacceptable.

I remember when I was a teen, I always had weight issues, and this one doctor was all oh u know u should be more active and what not cause ur bmi is high. (little did he know I played basetball and soccer), anyways, i turned and said, well.. ur not much taller than me, and look about the same weight, so how active are you? he just shrug it off, and writen my prescription... haha never said bye either.

loll that made me chuckle. Well thats the thing they just assume by appearance that high bmi= eats loadsa crap= doesnt exercise and prob just lazy. Little does she know i have a black belt in karate and walk my dogs twice a day plus run after my toddler..piss me right of these people

I had an elective with my 3rd and my BMI is shocking.

I healed very well and no probs what so ever.

Try not to let it get you down.

:hugs:

V xxx

Thank you for your reassurance, feeling much better thanks to you ladies x

I have a high bmi and it has never been mentioned when discussing a c-section. I am the same weight as i was with my daughter I healed perfectly and had no troubles with my first c-section so i don't see how it could be much different this time lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->