High Cervix - Chances of successful induction

annaki

A Little Bit Pregnant #1
Reaction score
Im 41 weeks and my MW was unable to perform a membrane sweep today due to my cervix being unreadable. :-( I have been gutted all day!

I have been booked in for an induction this coming Thursday. They will start with the pessary. I know my cervix has chance to change before then, but if it's still I reachable surely the pessary won't be effective? Then I read somewhere that they wouldn't use the drip if cervix was that high. I really don't want a CS. That is my main concern. :-( I know this would be an option if the hormonal options fail.

Has anyone got any experience of this?

Feeling very very sorry for my self! :-(

I have always been told the same thing - that if your cervix is not dilated at all, it makes for a very long, difficult induction.

However, with my first birth, my water broke and I had to be induced (I was dilated maybe a fingertip) and the pessary helped enough to get me a bit dilated and then the pitocin did the rest! I had the baby in just 12 hours!

So, it's not an ideal situation, but it doesn't necessarily mean a long labor. Hopefully your cervix will soften naturally over the next few days and the induction meds will do the rest. Good luck!

The suppository's effectiveness has nothing to do with how high your cervix is, but has to do with the maturity/softness/thickness etc. Some women don't get any results even after 2 suppositories so really depends on the individual case.
Same situation, cervix is high, but soft, however I see the sweep from Friday didn't really work. I feel so bleh right now that I actually don't mind a c section if I need it to get my baby out, and I was dead set on a natural birth.
I'm going to the hospital tomorrow for a NST, see how baby is doing, as my U/S doc found him distressed... If he is even more distressed I will ask for an induction for the same night, even if I'm scheduled for Thursday.

I was induced at 41 1/2 wks with my first. I had no dialation and no contractions. I started with cervadil inserted first at night, then pitocin drip for the rest of it. It was over 24 hrs, so it was a long process, but I did have a vaginal delivery. Maybe baby will come in its own by then, or maybe things will ripen with your cervix by then to make the process easier, but just to let you know that it can still work!

Mine was high and not dilated. They couldnt perform a sweep at first.

From my waters being broken at 10am when I wasnt a cm to ds being born was 2 hours 30 minutes. So nope it doesnt make for a long or unsuccessful induction x

Thanks for some positive stories! Dr Google can sometimes really scare you! :-/

I've had two babies and never had a sucessful sweep as they have never been able to reach my cervix either. Both times they told me I would likely need an induction as cervix not favourable at all. However I went into labour naturally both times so my cervix must have known what it was doing lol.

First time they attempted a sweep at 41 weeks and I went into labour on my own at 41 + 3. Second time I went to have a sweep at 41 weeks again and she said your not having this baby anytime soon and I had him that night lol.

So theres always hope :) I probrably won't even bother letting them poke around this time for a sweep. Also you could try some evening primrose oil to help ripen your cervix before induction too- I used it last time and things went quite quickly by the time I got I to labour. Good luck with everything hun xxx

I've just come over from Baby Club section. My cervix was high and I was only 1cm, they even had to turn it (It was facing back wall) in order to do the gel. I still was successfully induced. Don't worry at all! :) x
I wish you the best.

Im 41 weeks and my MW was unable to perform a membrane sweep today due to my cervix being unreadable. :-( I have been gutted all day!

I have been booked in for an induction this coming Thursday. They will start with the pessary. I know my cervix has chance to change before then, but if it's still I reachable surely the pessary won't be effective? Then I read somewhere that they wouldn't use the drip if cervix was that high. I really don't want a CS. That is my main concern. :-( I know this would be an option if the hormonal options fail.

Hi Annaki! Its me from the overdue thread! You read my mind..with two unsuccessful sweeps due to cervix being too high,how will they induce?? We have the same thought process:haha: Thanks for starting thread..stalking.

Hi Annaki! Its me from the overdue thread! You read my mind..with two unsuccessful sweeps due to cervix being too high,how will they induce?? We have the same thought process:haha: Thanks for starting thread..stalking.

Hi Rubyblu! Was just wondering how the pessary would work if they couldn't insert it near the cervix?

I drive myself crazy with worrying but some very positive stories! We will be fine. It's just the waiting that can make you go mad! X

In my understanding the pessary dissolves inside there and the Prostaglandins (or whatever they are called) and absorbed from our body causing the cervix to soften and open enough to start dilation and eventually labor. Not always of course, there are individuals very resistant to this method. But once again it has nothing to do with how high the cervix is, more like how mature it is. A softer cervix will respond better.

https://www.pregnancy-bliss.co.uk/amniotomy.html
"What happens if the cervix does not respond to prostaglandins?
This is a difficult situation and the attending obstetrician has to weigh up the options. One will be to try and go ahead with amniotomy (rupturing the membranes) and an oxytocin infusion. Such a strategy has a high chance of failure, especially if the cervix is in a very unfavourable state. It simply won't open.

The second option is to postpone the procedure for a few days and try again later. This is only possible where there is no concern for the baby's well-being by the continued stay in the womb.

The third option is to abandon the failed induction and deliver by caesarean section."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->