High fluid levels - 30 wks

ducky1502

Reaction score
I had a private growth scan last night and was told I have higher than normal levels of fluid. 23AFI. I was told to ring my midwife this morning. I rang at 8 before work and had to leave a message with someone to pass onto my midwife. I called back at 1 to see what was going on. She said all she could tell me was that my message had been passed on. I had blood taken this morning by a lady who was also a midwife so when we were talking she said to give them til after lunch and if I heard nothing to call the hospital I'm giving birth at and let them know. Which I thought sounded a bit excessive?! What do I do now? Late on a Friday afternoon. Should I just leave it for the weekend?

I don't know what's best to advise you, but i want to follow as my twins are in their own sacs and midwife said i had lots of fluid, and when i looked at the paperwork i am at the top end of 'normal' for singleton but over for twins - but nobody has mentioned this as an issue :shrug: I have looked up a few things on reputable sites and i don't like what i read, so i'm no longer looking until i know whether i have anything to be concerned about. Mine have been measured at 28 weeks at the deepest pocket as 80mm and 78mm (75mm is top end normal for twins) which is an increase from the 24 week scan! I have my 32 week scan on wednesday and i hope to find out more then.

Over 25afi is classed as high so 23 would be in the higher end of normal range I believe. They don't tend to use that method on the nhs noe they look at the single largest pocket depth to get the afv.
Xx

definitly worth getting in touch. This issue could be nothing and a cause might never be found BUT it can also be very serious, it could indicate gestational diabetes r a whole host of other conditions. It wont change the management of your pregnancy much but they might want to give an extra scan or two to monitor it, it can cause soem issues at birth to if your water breaks in a gush. DD had a very rare complication which caused this in my second pregnancy and there is a high chance she could have suffocated at birth if it had gone undetected so please take it seriously and make sure your midwives are aware so they can monitor it.

I had my 32 week scan today and they confirmed i have too much amniotic fluid as it had increased again to 84mm deepest pocket. The twin that is in that sac also has growth restriction too, i go back for another scan in 2 weeks on xmas eve... The other twin has grown too much, but they are not concerned about him yet - i don't have GD either, my tests results were great.

santa could be bringing me 2 early christmas bundles :(

Just to let you all know I have a scan at the hospital on Monday so hopefully everything is just completely normal and I can forget about it :)

I had high fluid levels with 2 of my babies and everything was fine. With my dd I had so much that when she came out, the xtra fluid sorta burst out after her. Actually sprayed the nurse and there was a puddle on the floor that the nurse slipped in on the way to the warmer with her!! She's a healthy 8 year old now. Gl!!

I had high fluid levels with 2 of my babies and everything was fine. With my dd I had so much that when she came out, the xtra fluid sorta burst out after her. Actually sprayed the nurse and there was a puddle on the floor that the nurse slipped in on the way to the warmer with her!! She's a healthy 8 year old now. Gl!!

that's good to hear that all was well :) were any of your babies on the small side with the high fluid amount? Mine has dropped off his curve and measuring behind now x

No, they were average. 7 lb 9 oz and 7 lb 4 oz. I honestly don't remember what they estimated their weights at before hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->