High hcg level falls and then rises again

onetimeuser

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I hope to get some information about HCG levels that have fallen and risen again. I'll update the thread tomorrow for future viewers who may search google for similar symptoms.

To preface: I found out I was pregnant with a strong positive on a (cheap) home test at only 3 weeks pregnant. Today is September 1st and the date of my LMP was July 25th.I am 100% certain of my LMP because we had been charting. At 4 wks 6 days pregnant I went to the ER due to painful cramping on my right side. The pain was unrelated to the pregnancy (not ectopic) but a gestational sac was found during the ultrasound and my hcg levels were at 4611 (they tested twice to be sure).

The ER wanted a follow up appointment with our Urgent Care two days after our visit to make sure things were going smoothly. I was five weeks during my follow up at the Urgent Care and they found that my levels had dropped to 2700. The Urgent Care doctor told me I was having a miscarriage and sent me to the ER for an ultrasound. My husband and I were devastated by the news and took our time going to the ER but got there about four hours after leaving Urgent Care. My hcg levels were tested right away and the number had already risen from the 2700 to 3000. The ultrasound showed that everything looked fine and that nothing had changed since our last visit (the gestational sac was still in place but it was still too early to see anything else).

The doctor gave us so many possibilities ranging from vanishing twin to lab error with the original level. Regardless, I am nervous and the anticipation for retesting tomorrow is killing me...Has anyone else experienced this? The doctor didn't want to give me false hope but he said it could go either way. :help:

Im not really sure but i hope it all works out for you.

Two things come to mind. The first is that it started as twins and you lost one twin but the other is healthy. That can lead to results like yours. The second posibility I can think of is that someone made a mistake with one of the test results.

EDIT: I just realised I missed the end of your first post. It sounds like the doctor already gave those posibilities.

I hope it goes well. The fact that its going up now seems like a good thing.

As devastating as it is to consider losing part of a twin it's still better than losing both. Unfortunately there wasn't any sign of a second child but I'll know more tomorrow when my levels are either rising or falling.

This happened to me and it was ectopic. Not wanting to alarm you or anything but did you see a baby in the sac? Pseudo sacs happen in about 20% of ectopics. Just something to be aware of :) really hope it's not!

It's too early to see anything in the sac but during both ultrasounds they couldn't find anything outside of my uterus. Was your ectopic pregnancy hard to diagnose? I didn't know that pseudo sacs were common with ectopic, wouldn't an ultrasound pick up on an abnormal growth? Both times we did a topical and transvaginal ultrasound.

I was in hospital for 1.5 weeks before they could
Properly diagnose me. I was 6+4 when they could confirm something was in the tube and I had u/s everyday while in there. Hcg levels were all over the place.
I don't think an ultrasound can pick up abnormal growth so early x
Odds are that yours isn't ectopic and hope it's not! Just something to be aware of x

Thank you for sharing your experience, I want to be prepared for whatever we may end up finding and I had stopped considering the chances of it being ectopic. I've reached a point where I just want to have answers. Ectopic, miscarriage, or otherwise...I just want to know whats going on.

All the best. Hoping to hear a positive update :)

There was a lady on here a while back whose levels fell and then rose again and all was fine. (I can't recall her member name or I"d link the thread) I'd never heard of that before as anytime mine fell I ended with a miscarriage. So it does happen. Also, a lab errors do happen. Good luck. I hope your numbers keep going up and everything is fine.

After receiving this final hcg test the doctor has determined that I have miscarried. The levels dropped drastically from 3000 to 980. There are many reasons the levels could have raised slightly after a drop but unfortunately this ended up as a miscarriage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->