High nuchal measurement. Low Downs risk. Fetal cardiac scan booked

amelia26

Reaction score
At my 12 week scan I was told the nuchal measurement was above the 95th percentile. My overall NT test came back as low risk and a Harmony test showed the risk of trisomies 13, 18, 21 was less than 1 in 10, 000

I have been booked for a fetal cardiac scan at 20 weeks though because they said a high NT measurement can also be an indicator of heart defects even in the absence of chromonsonal disorders.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar? OObviously I am nervous about the scan but also winding what will happen if all looks all ok because I know a lot of heart defects aren't picked up on scans.

We had a high nt measurement at 12 weeks, 3.5mm. We were also referred for two heart scans at 16 and 20 weeks. At the first she was highly confident there were no significant defects ie. life threatening and confirmed this at 20 weeks. She did say obviously she couldn't rule out any smaller issues. Our lg was born perfectly healthy. Good luck, hope you get the all clear soon :flower:

Thanks Kmumtobe. I'm really pleased to hear your lg was born healthy.
Can I just ask, after the 20 week scan, was they're any follow up? Did it affect your birth at all (e.g. Did you need continuous monitoring?), any scan after birth?

Ask anything you like, glad to provide some reassurance/help it's a scary time :hugs:

I had nothing after the 20 week scan no, we declined an amnio so technically remained high risk for chromosome disorders etc but because we wanted to take it no further my pregnancy continued medically as normal as they were happy that she had no major heart problems.. I actually had a home birth too that's how unbothered they were! No scans after birth no, they called a peadiatrcian to give her a thorough check over at my request so probably had a good listen to her heart but again that was more about the Down syndrome to me. Can I ask what your babies nt measurement was? Are you in the U.K.? The scan itself was literally 5 minutes, straight into focus on the heart, did a load of stuff on screen and just said she was sure she was fine but to come back to recheck.

Thanks, that's great. Really reassuring.
The measurement was 2.9mm, so not huge. I'm in the UK and having scans at King's - I've been really impressed by it there so I feel I am in good hands.

I'm hoping for a vbac this time and planning to decline continous monitoring so it's good to know this shouldn't affect things if the cardiac scan is ok.
(Obviously my birth plans would change if anything is picled up)

I was under the John Radcliffe in Oxford so not a million miles away so hopefully protocol won't be too different and hopefully it's some reassurance then to know a 3.5mm nuchal turned out to be nothing, fx this is the case for your lo one too. Maybe you could update when you've had it? All the best :flower:

we had a high-normal nt with normal bloods, so went for an extra heart scan so far at 22.5 weeks all is looking as it should such a stressful wait though all the best for you and lo

without meaning to scare you we were in the other boat. High NT and then a heart condition detected at 20 weeks. Clear amnio but they dont test for every genetic condition with any test. Our daughter has a genetic condition that is a 1:10000 shot.

She required several surgeries including heart surgery. Hopefully everything is well with your little one though

Thank you for your honesty kit10grl. I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I can't imagine how difficult is must be. My son was born with a urological problem which meant several stays at great ormond street and several operations - the first at 4 weeks. It was the hardest thing I ever went through but I was always aware that compared to most kids at that hospital his problems were minor and that we were the lucky ones there.

It's 2 weeks til the scan. At the moment my main concern is getting this baby to a decent gestation as I had a massive bleed this week and spent some time in hospital.

Hi there!

At my 13 weeks scan we were told that the baby had a nigh NT measure. 3.9 to 4. Decided to have a CVS and that came back fine. Yesterday, just over 16 weeks, we had another scan and so far everything looks ok. 4 more weeks until our 20 weeks scan to check for heart defects or other structural issues. It's been a real tough wait and it's definitely taking its toll on us but I keep positive that all will be fine in the end. Chromosomal problems were my biggest concern, things that i can't influence or try fix at least...

Fingers crossed for both of us! Good luck! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"