High Risk - No homebirth.

xarlenex

Reaction score
I know its early days just looking for some advice and anyone who may have been in a similar position.

I had my booking appointment on thursday and my midwife informed me that i'm actually 'Red pathway' (High risk) because of my pregnancy with Kyle. So a bit of detail on that. I caught Parvo virus (slapped cheek) a very common childhood illness but can be fatal to baby in pregnancy. Its not always passed onto baby, but Kyle wasn't that lucky and unfortunately became severly anemic and fluid gathered around all his major organs nearly causing them to fail. Around 20-21 weeks I had an intrauterine transfusion and amazingly Kyle became strong and was born perfectly healthy.
I know how 'high risk' I was then, and do not for a minute under estimate just how important medical intervention can be.

I'm just confused as to why this would result in my 2nd pregnancy being classed as high risk and me not being allowed a home birth. It was a variable factor that can't happen again. Its not like having it once makes you prone to the virus again. If thats the case then every women should be high risk incase they catch it? My midwife said i'll have consultant led care and serial growth scans, I really just wanted a 'normal' pregnancy this time. I really hope this doesnt come across as me being selfish as its not the case.

I have my first meeting with my consultant on the 16th and hoping she decides theres no need for this but my midwife doesn't think this will be the case. Anyone been in a similar position and been allowed to return to low risk and have a home birth?

Sorry for rambling on :dohh:

I don't know if things differ in Scotland but in England if you choose to homebirth you can do so no matter what risk you've been tagged as and a MW has to attend.

They can recommend all they like.

You'll have to find out if it's the same where you are. I didn't think there was any difference!

As far as I know it is the same here in Scotland. You have a right to a home birth and everything they say about risk and 'having' to have scans is advisory only - the decisions are still yours.

I would ask that very simple question that you asked up thread at your consultant appointment "why does the random illness I had last time make me high risk this time?" and see if they come up with anything concrete. If they waffle and hedge round it just keep saying "yes, but, why does . . ." until you get a clear indicator of what the risk might be, or an admission that there is no increased risk!

If you happen to be in Glasgow, then just ask to be referred to the designated Home Birth Team. Midwife Caroline Kane if you are in PRM's area, Ann Tournish if you are in the Southern's area. They are fab. All your appointments from then on would be with them.

I'm not sure other areas have specific teams, but it is worth asking.

Good luck!

I was about to say you can pick home birth no matter what care you are under, it is your choice.

I have seen consultants for this pregnancy as they thought my LO was a low birth weight (he wasn't that small), I have an auto-immune disease (not sure what problem that could cause), I had previous retained placenta and this is 5th pregnancy which means potentially heavier bleeding after birth.
I had 2 growth scans which were fine and was signed off for a HB last week :)
Just because they have expressed concerns now does not mean they won't support you later on. I just kept mentioning I wanted a HB at every appointment and this finally got through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->