High Risk Pregnancy

sarah2211

Reaction score
I've had Lupus since my late teens and before TTC my rheumatologist weaned me off all medications and I was doing great. He said when I get pregnant there's no need to be considered high risk and carry on as normal. We moved cities with my husband in the military and I no longer see that (or any) rheumatologist

After having trouble conceiving, I was excited to be able to have a natural pregnancy with a midwife and minimal intervention. My midwife was a little worried about my history of Lupus and referred me to a high risk OB. She reassured me that it was just to double check everything can continue as normal.

I had my appointment last week with the high risk OB and it wasn't great. I'm now on injectable heparin now until after the baby is born because Lupus can cause clots. They want to monitor me every 3-4 weeks and scans every 4 weeks, plus lots of extra tests. The OB suggested I just see her and not the midwife but I said I wanted to keep my midwife too.

I'm just so disappointed. I wanted things to be "normal". My husband and I want a big family and now it just feels like it would be a stupid thing to do. I'm so grateful to have a healthy baby, I just feel like my body is a failure.

Anyone else in a similar position?

:hugs: It's okay. I have lupus, too, and a few other autoimmune disorders. This is my fifth natural pregnancy. I had trouble conceiving my first, but I've been fine since then. I treat myself using a Paleo diet (started this before becoming pregnant and have continued since before conceiving my first) and see a midwife - I've seen the same practice of midwives with all of my pregnancies. I know it sounds so scary and like it's just doomed, but it certainly is not. Many, many of us with lupus have wonderful, healthy kids. My mother-in-law had lupus and had 2 back-to-back pregnancies - my OH and my SIL - without any treatment. So, being that you're being careful, and you're getting lots of tests and lots of scans done, I think you're going to be JUST fine. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!!!!! Take a breath!!!!! Try some meditation - it's wonderful for keeping our bodies calm and happy! :)

Thanks xdxxtx, I guess it's just a readjustment of expectations. I had hoped and been told that everything could carry on as it would for any other women. So now I just have to accept that and do the best I can. I'm grateful they're being proactive and taking precautions, I just wish I wasn't in this position.

Did you have to do these injections too? I hope I'm the same as you and have no trouble conceiving in the future. It wasn't an easy process getting our BFP and wasn't cheap either.

Thanks for your reply :)

Hi Sarah, welcome to second tri! I don't have lupus so I can't relate too well on that but I was told after having my son that I would be considered a high risk pregnancy in the future due to pre term labor.

I get injections as well, weekly, only it's hormone instead of blood thinner.. Not quite the "natural" route I had hoped for but it is for the best so I hope you can come to terms with it from that perspective.

It was also found during my 20 week scan I have a two vessel chord so I'm doubly high risk now I guess.

I had a midwife with my son and obviously cannot for this one but I can tell you that there really haven't been that many differences. The most noteable one is actually my favorite.. I get more scans and it sounds like you will too. Both my husband and I really enjoy being able to see her! I feel more at ease too because even though I know there is a higher risk of complications I feel confidant in the care both me and my baby are receiving and I trust my doctor. I hope that made sense. I know our situations aren't quite the same but trust me, your body isn't failing. In fact quite the opposite, it's doing something pretty damn amazing.

Thanks Weebles. I'm really excited to be in the second trimester! I can't wait for my bump to grow and to feel the kicks. But mostly to find out if it's a wee boy or girl!

I'm going to keep seeing my midwife alongside the OB. The midwife said she'll coordinate everything and also look after the more regular parts of pregnancy (like if I get a UTI or thrush) which the high risk OB probably doesn't really care about. Plus she will deliver the baby.

I agree, I'm looking forward to the more frequent scans and seeing our little one more often. How often are your scans? And are you giving yourself your injections? So far my husband has done mine but he hates that they go into my tummy near the baby.

Try not to get hung up on it, getting a baby here and safe should always be the goal, i too have to have the blood thinners because of a condition called thrombophilia that caused my son to be stillborn. Just forget it its not important.

Thanks Jessica. I'm sorry about your son :( are you also on these injections? I know it's not the end of the world but things have always been complicated with my health, I'd just hoped this would be different. I know that all that matters is our little one being safe and well.

The injections I get are intramuscular so I imagine the needle is pretty long but I've never had the nerve to look at it. I go into the office to have them and it's administered in my hip/bum area.

Scans are every other week to check my cervical length and to make sure baby is growing.

I can't imagine that a high risk OB wouldn't care about thrush or UTI. I get my urine screened for UTI, protein, and glucose at every visit (not at the extra scans or injection appts though). I do understand wanting to stay with your midwife though, especially if you really like her and are comfortable with her.

Thanks xdxxtx, I guess it's just a readjustment of expectations. I had hoped and been told that everything could carry on as it would for any other women. So now I just have to accept that and do the best I can. I'm grateful they're being proactive and taking precautions, I just wish I wasn't in this position.

Did you have to do these injections too? I hope I'm the same as you and have no trouble conceiving in the future. It wasn't an easy process getting our BFP and wasn't cheap either.

Thanks for your reply :)

I'm not on anything except for Synthroid for my thyroid hormones. I don't medicate for my other disorders and use diet and lifestyle to treat it naturally. This is something that you just can't start doing during pregnancy, so don't even think about it. ;) But I've been treating this way since before conceiving my first, and I've carried on and trust myself and my body to keep my babies safe. I find that gluten and artificial sugars/sweeteners make my autoimmune disorders act up, so I avoid them 100% of the time.

Thanks Jessica. I'm sorry about your son :( are you also on these injections? I know it's not the end of the world but things have always been complicated with my health, I'd just hoped this would be different. I know that all that matters is our little one being safe and well.

I'm not on them now but have been with all 4 of my lo's since i lost my guy. I have always been happy about the extra close eye kept on me. I don't think there is any need to consider having a small family now, once your plan is tried and tested it will always be automatically but put in place.

Weebles, mine are subcut. I would be alright if I had a nurse or a doctor give them to me but it's just that they're every day and that either I have to do them or my husband does. Every two weeks is often! I think mine will be every 3-4 weeks. I think the midwife just means that she'll look after the more mundane, 'normal' aspects of the pregnancy.

Xdxxtx, I was on plaquenil and have been on methotrexate in the past. I came off everything to start TTC and have found that I feel mostly ok. My fingers felt a bit swollen and sore this morning but nothing major. I'm glad you're doing well.

Jessica, did the doctors ever make any remarks about you not having so many babies? I feel like if I had more than 2 people would say that I'm silly knowing the risks. I feel it's worth it. I'd do this every day if it meant having our family but I know others don't always understand.

Weebles, mine are subcut. I would be alright if I had a nurse or a doctor give them to me but it's just that they're every day and that either I have to do them or my husband does. Every two weeks is often! I think mine will be every 3-4 weeks. I think the midwife just means that she'll look after the more mundane, 'normal' aspects of the pregnancy.

Xdxxtx, I was on plaquenil and have been on methotrexate in the past. I came off everything to start TTC and have found that I feel mostly ok. My fingers felt a bit swollen and sore this morning but nothing major. I'm glad you're doing well.

Jessica, did the doctors ever make any remarks about you not having so many babies? I feel like if I had more than 2 people would say that I'm silly knowing the risks. I feel it's worth it. I'd do this every day if it meant having our family but I know others don't always understand.

Nope my condition is manageable with medication, i can't speak for yours.

It's manageable for me so far. I just get the feeling I'll be asked "why do you keep putting yourself through this?"

I was considered high risk with my 2nd and 3rd LO's, I should have been with my 1st but it was missed and I didn't realize :wacko:. I have a genetic disorder and in my 2nd pregnancy I was diagnosed with a heart condition. The with my 3rd I was diagnosed with thyroid disorder. All of these can cause complications for me and baby, so I definitely get the worry and the disappointment at not being able to have a lovely relaxed, "natural" pregnancy, but once I accepted that this was our reality and that I was incredibly lucky to live somewhere where I received the extra attention my LO needed to stay safe, it was fine.
Enjoy the extra scans, ask your doctor/MW if you have any worries or concerns and do your research if you're told you need to have or do something and you're not sure.

Thanks Eleanor, I think it's mostly the disappointment of not having a natural, normal pregnancy. But I will enjoy those extra scans (when I get them) and getting to see my wee one more often. We are lucky to live somewhere where we can get the best possible care. Thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->