Hip Bursitis

verily

Reaction score
I just got diagnosed with hip bursitis. My left hip has been absolutely killing me when I try to sleep on either side at night, which is going to be a problem when it becomes necessary to sleep that way. A pillow between my legs is not helping. :(

They can't use drugs to treat it, so I've been referred to physical therapy and have been directed to find a soft mattress topper. For any of you that have dealt with this issue, are there any other things I can do to help fix it?

Not specifically, although I suspect I have SPD/PGP and I have terrible hip joint pain from that. I posted in my journal this morning I may be having to get a mattress topper as my hips were bothering me badly last night!

I'm seeing a chiropractor for it.

Hip dysplasia that resulted in a total hip replacement 9 years ago! My hips bother me off and on. I had a lot of issues when pregnant with ds but I also gained a lot of weight and that didn't help. I used a heating pad, being careful not to leave it on too long. Ice may also help you if it's inflamed, I love a good bag of frozen peas on my hip!! I had a lot of discomfort sleeping and ended up sleeping on my back but on a wedge pillow so that I wasn't completely flat. This time around I have less pain. I'm sleeping on my stomach and side and definitely use a pillow between my legs. The physical therapy should help in both strengthening and stretching the joint to help move pressure off the inflamed bursa. I'm sorry you're having pain and I hope you find some solutions!

Physiotherapist here. Ice it 3-5 times a day regardless of whether you have pain or not. Do the hip exercises your PT prescribes you. Most of the time hip bursitis can be caused by weakness in the gluteus medius muscle so the exercises are super important. Should be fairly obvious but if lying on that side is painful, don't lie on that side. Wear a very good supportive and comfortable shoe. Ask your PT about using a sports tape on your hip and have him/her show you how to do it for pain relief.

Hip bursitis is inflammatory so ice is pretty crucial.

Thank you all for your advice!

I will definitely give icing a try. My PT recommended an SI belt as well due to the changes that go on in pregnancy.

Thank you all for your advice!

I will definitely give icing a try. My PT recommended an SI belt as well due to the changes that go on in pregnancy.

Definitely worth it if you're having pain there. Just careful on the placement of the belt so as to avoid any tender areas from the bursitis. Good luck! Hip bursitis is a common enough condition that your PT should have you feeling better soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->