Hiring a Doula?

Katy Bug

Reaction score
I want to try and have a non-medicated natural birth in a small hospital. A lot of people online are saying to hire a doula but is it really necessary? I don't have a lot of support from my family members. My mom and grandmother are the most supportive on natural, but none of them would try and keep me on track of going natural if I want medication. So that is probably why they say this. How did you fair with or without a doula?

It's amazing how many people are so anti-natural birth. I didn't realize it was like this until I got pregnant..I get a lot of negative talks from family about it. I just need some support :(

I think it depends on the hospital, do you know the staff who will be attending on the day? do you trust them? and how supportive can your family be.... Dulas have been shown to be different in the support they offer than friends or family memebrs (I have a link here somewhere, I will see if I can find it!)

TBH, in labour, if a woman says she wants drugs, I'm not going to say "No, you aren't allowed them." It's all in the ante natal preparation, and in the support in labour before she ever gets to that point.

I wish I had had a doula for both of my births.

I hired a doula. I was able to have a med free labour and delivery. She was great. She helped me to stay on track with what I wanted.

interruppted by LO needing a feed...........

She also did a birth story up which was great. Cause when your in labour the details can get fuzzy pretty quickly as you are focused on what you are doing and not other stuff. And she took pictures as well.

Also she would come to me as soon as I wanted her when I went into labour...whether it was when I was already in the hospital or if I was at home and in labour and needed the extra support and then come to the hospital.

I thought it was totally worth it to hire one.

I hired a doula and I am actually excited to give birth. She is fantastic. She'll be teaching me yoga positions next month for birthing and pain relief and checks in with me every couple of weeks. Plus, my insurance covers a portion of her fee, which, to be honest, is a very small amount.

I decided to hire a doula because:

1. My husband and I have never been at a birth before and do not know what to expect.
2. We want a natural birth and need a coach to help him and me get through the pain of labor.
3. We need someone to help us decipher medical jargon, and this doula has attended births only at hospitals, and half of them were at the hospital we're delivering at.
4. I need the positive reinforcement that I can do this, and while my family doesn't make negative comments, they're not exactly supportive either! DH's family has flat out told me I can't do it. None of them are allowed in my hospital room. The doula will help keep them out too!

All the books I've read about natural birthing have recommended doulas for natural birth in a hospital. I think it's a great idea!

I have a doula, and so far she has been great. She's always there if I need to talk or need any advice, and has put my mind at rest many times. I also feel like we're on the same level.

I don't have any support from family at all and don't think my husband will know what to do when it comes to me being in labour.

If you're in the UK, theres a website called Doula UK, and you'll be able to find some in your area. I emailed a few and then interviewed a few and decided who I thought would be best for us.

I can relate to what you're saying about wanting a natural birth, I've endured a lot of negativity too, but I feel like its worth doing and will be best for me and my baby :)

If you decide to go for a doula, I hope you find someone right for you :)

Doulas are great, especially if you want a NCB. They help you through that emotional time where you may say you want medications but you really don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->