Hives and Breastfeeding

cait

Reaction score
3 weeks into breastfeeding and things are improving - or so I thought. The past three nights I have developed huge itchy hives all over my legs and some of my arms. Google suggested this would be a hormonal thing from breastfeeding. Anyone ever experience this and did it settle once the supply/letdown settled?

Absolute nightmare as I am itching like mad in the evenings and you know how much harder everything is at night anyway!! If no improvement soon I will go to the doctor but worried that antihistamines might affect my supply - any advice welcome x

I have heard of this but it seems opinion is divided on whether BF causes it; or whether it is just a general hormonal new mum thing, or even due to hormones whether new mums are more susceptible to react to things in the environment that they were totally fine with previously-perhaps try switching to non-allergenic unscented products (including any toiletries, washing powder etc) and see if that helps; if it doesn't then it may be due to BF/general post natal hormones being all over the place; but from what I have read it usually settles down in a couple of weeks. There are some anti histamines that are ok to take while BF; I may be wrong there but hopefully other ladies who need to take them will enlighten us as to which they are (if any) xx

Thanks so much for replying. I was so bamboozled when this first happened I ran over everything in my brain but there's nothing new in my environment and diet bar my lovely daughter! But it never occurred to me I could have developed a reaction to a product I already use so I will try using more neutral things. Hopefully it will go away naturally anyway.

Have read of some extreme cases where women have gotten them in their mouth and throat and had to carry an epipen so thank god mine are minor!! Just annoying, not dangerous and certainly won't put me off breastfeeding.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to use a hydrocortizone based cream for the hives (it may only provide minor relief though, but worth a shot) Very cold compresses help as well. I would try those first, before an antihistamine. Could it have been a bug bite? My mom broke out in hives for a few days at 55 years old. Never did figure out what caused it, and hasn't happened since. I know there are some steriods that are safe as well. I was prescribed pretnisone (sp?) when my LO was a few weeks old, when I had pneumonia.

don't think it's a bite as they come out at night and all over my legs, but will be improved after sleep. been coming and going for 3 days. I'll try cream/lotion before resorting to oral meds in case it affects my milk

I found this old thread while searching for any remedy for my hives after 4 weeks of my delivery. I have exact same symptoms as original poster here. hives are coming in the evening on my legs and little bit on arms and other body. it's been 2 nights now. i don't want to take antihistamine because i'm afraid it can effect my milk supply.

What did you do? can you please suggest something?

Funny to read this as I have come out in hives on my hands. I put it down to post partum hormones, it has never happened before to me, but I have had other weird and wonderful hormonal post partum things happen. I did mention it to my midwife and she thought it was hormonal and her advise was to go to the gp if it got bad or did not clear up. I can put up with mine so have left it as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->