hiya...not sure where to ask this...

mummykel1984

Reaction score
this seems a good place so here goes....i'm havin my lil man on tuesday by c section and i have severe polyhydramnios and he may need an op due to the fact they think hes not swallowin properly, somethin called tracheoesophageal fistula....so when hes born they will be puttin a tube down his nose and seein if it goes into his stomach cos on the millions ( slight exaggeration!! ) of scans i have had they noted an absent stomach bubble....then the likely hood is he will will need to go to special care baby unit...i have 2 question realli...1, how long after c section do they let u go and c ur baby on special care?? and 2, whats it like?? hes my 3rd baby and i have been used to just havin them next to me and pickin them up feedin them etc and its more than likely i wont be able to do this this time and i'm realli scared of the unknown...can anyone share there scbu expiereinces with me? thanks in advance!!! hope ur all well and ur babies

kelly and harry xxxx

Hi Kelly and Harry,

I had c-section with my LO, and she was born at 10.49am and I was down seeing her the first time after less than 4 hours. As soon as I was strong enough to stand a bit and was out of the anastetics I was free to go and see her....

About the SCBU...
We were so lucky that we had had a show around of teh unit 3 days before I delivered, as we more or less knew she would come early (11 weeks). It was not as scary as we had thourght when we where down there.
But of course when it cam eto the fact that our own LO was in one of the incubators full of wires etc, the scaryness multiplied... But we were calm all the time and the staff was brilliant to explain what happened when and why...
I was down at the SCBU 5-6 times a day while I was at the hospital myself, after discharge I was there for 8-10 hours every day, so it quite quickly ended out as a "normal" place for me to be - and not scary at all...

Take care x

I asked to visit scbu the week before my son was born. The staff were wonderful as I burst in to tears as soon as I walked through the door :blush:

They answered all my questions. They said in 99% of cases babies are shown to the parents before being taken to scbu. After being in recovery from the section I was wheeled into the unit on he bed to see my baby before being transfered to the maternity ward. I did have to wait until I was up on my feet before I saw him again but I was given photos of Connor before I went to the ward and later in the evening the nurse looking after him came down with more photos for me.

The staff were great and made the stay a bit more pleasant. I was always what was going on and could visit any time day or night. It really is worth asking for a look around and making a list of questions.

thanks girls u've been helpful its all just a bit overwhelming xx

My little girl was taken to scbu before I even got a chance to see her as she was born at 25 weeks, they didnt want her getting cold. This was at about 11pm.
I didn't get to see her until lunchtime the next day! I was hooked up to a drip and things though.

The staff in the scbu are fantastic! Although visiting times says until 10.30pm or something, they tell me if I cant sleep or whatever, its ok to pop down for half an hour in the night :)
They dont get annoyed with me calling up a million times a day (ok, not that many but at least 2) to see how she is doing either.

My little girl is in the same neonatal unit as Diva Dexie's little one and I agree they are fantastic in there.

Sophie was born at 27 weeks by emergency c-section at 2.44pm on the Sunday afternoon, and I saw her on the Monday lunchtime, but DH saw her about 2 hours after she was born. The only reason I wasn't able to go down earlier was because I'd been so ill right before having her. We didn't get to see her as soon as she was born because with being so premature and so tiny, they had to keep her warm and see what she needed as soon as she was born.

The first time I saw her, the nurse was absolutely lovely. She talked to me about having a baby in neonatal, and she told me to touch Sophie and talk to her, but I was scared to touch her much as she was sooooo tiny.

When I was in hospital, like with DivaDexie they told me I could go down in the night if I wanted to - and I did that once or twice.

The staff really encourage you to get as involved as possible and they are very aware of how hard it is for the parents. Even though Sophie was born at 27 weeks, we've been changing nappies and doing her feeds through her feeding tube since the very early days, and as she has got a bit bigger, we've been doing most of her cares while we visit, eg mouth care, eye care, all feeds, all nappies etc and getting cuddles, especially now she is out of intensive care and into high dependency. We have also been taught to turn her from her back to her front and vice versa and also how to change the monitor leads from one foot to the other, and we are pretty much now left to do everything for her without supervision. She is 8 weeks tomorrow (35 weeks gestation).

They are sooo nice in neonatal, and very very understanding of the fact that it's your new baby who you desperately want to be looking after yourself. They are always happy to talk to us on the phone and they say to phone any time of day or night - they said even if I'm up expressing in the middle of the night and I'm thinking about Sophie, just phone because they are all there! One nurse said even if the nurse we need to speak to is busy, it's only our baby she is busy with so we've not to worry about phoning!

I have to say I was absolutely terrified when I knew we'd have a baby in neonatal, but it's not been anything like as bad as I expected and you do get into a little routine - sad though it is, it becomes a way of life while you're going through it and you do somehow adapt to it.

If you need any more advice, this is the place to come, I had so much help on this section of the forum when I knew Sophie was coming early. Lots of luck and best wishes - keep us posted.

xxxx

My experience in NNU is going to be completely different to yours. I wasnt able to hold Chloe and Jaycee for about a week because they were wired up to the hills and they wanted them to settle first as they drove 70 miles from the hospital they were born to where they were to stay for 8 days!

But I am assuming you will be able to pick him up and feed him and do all his cares.

We were able to change nappies and do all their cares like cleaning straightaway then on the 8th day just before they came to a hospital nearer home we were able to hold Chloe. Then once they got to the hospital we were able to hold them both.

Have you got a consultant who you could ask. they must have some advice for you.

Good luck for the 11th. Hope Harry doesnt spend too long in NNU and is able to come home to you soon!

I had an emergency c-section under a general anaesthetic and it was a day before I got to see Abby. Everyone is different, it really does depend on how the birth goes etc.

It was scary and wonderful at the same time. The staff are great and explain everything so well. I agree that a pre-birth visit would be a good idea.

My experience in NNU is going to be completely different to yours. I wasnt able to hold Chloe and Jaycee for about a week because they were wired up to the hills and they wanted them to settle first as they drove 70 miles from the hospital they were born to where they were to stay for 8 days!

But I am assuming you will be able to pick him up and feed him and do all his cares.

We were able to change nappies and do all their cares like cleaning straightaway then on the 8th day just before they came to a hospital nearer home we were able to hold Chloe. Then once they got to the hospital we were able to hold them both.

Have you got a consultant who you could ask. they must have some advice for you.

Good luck for the 11th. Hope Harry doesnt spend too long in NNU and is able to come home to you soon!

I haven't cuddled Anna yet and she is 4 weeks tomorrow, we are a 2 hour drive from where she is and she wont get moved closer to home unti after she gets transfered out of NNU and into HDU.
it is hard isn't it? :hugs:

I haven't cuddled Anna yet and she is 4 weeks tomorrow, we are a 2 hour drive from where she is and she wont get moved closer to home unti after she gets transfered out of NNU and into HDU.
it is hard isn't it? :hugs:

Well I actually didnt see Chloe and Jaycee for 5 days because they were 70 miles away in Ashford in Kent and I was in St georges hospital in south london! I ended up in st georges NNU 4 days after I had them begging them with tears pouring down my face to bring them back up! My mum was in tears and the twins dad even cried because no one could believe I was actually begging someone to let me see my children!!

Its the hardest thing ever seeing your baby and not being able to pick them up and cuddle them....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->