Hmmm decisions decisions...

joeyjo

Mum to 2boys, growing #3
Reaction score
Having had a very unnatural birth last time around I am beginning to think about my options this time....

History:
Wanted natural birth with no pain relief. Was in switzerland, no entonox available - pain relief options opiods or epidural and to my mind epidural was lesser of 2 evils as effect of opiods on baby wasn't something I wanted to risk.
Induced last time at 39+3 as baby 'stopped' growing (multiple growth scans from 35 weeks, SFH 29weeks), placenta appeared to be deteriorating. Induction- several sets of pessarys, lots of braxton hicks, little sleep for a weekend.. C-section offered & declined twice (once at start once after 2.5 days before drip). Waters broken - nothing much more. 39+6 drip started - massive contractions but not a lot more, after 8 hours only at 3cm, told it looked like I'd need a c-section but happy to give me a few more hours, suggest epidural. Epidural given with Patient control unit (PCU), 2hours later dilated to 8cm!! Son finally born on EDD with aid of ventouse. Cord cut after a couple of minutes as it was very short & I couldn't bring my son above my waist. BF within 10min. Retained placenta, removal in theatre & postpartum haemorrhage...

Positives from my last experience
- I was fully alert and aware throughout the whole thing. The thought of the drunk feeling of entonox is horrible to me & opiods are still the thing I am most keen to avoid.
- I dreaded an epidural but it seemed to get me over a psychological block, allowed me to rest and the PCU meant that I ddin't top it up and by the time my son was born I had a reasonable amount of sensation, could move my legs, turn with help etc...
- Quick to BF.
- My son :cloud9:

In theory my wants are the same this time... The main thing on my birth plan is avoiding systemic opiods although I think I want to avoid entonox too..... Which basically brings me to the fact that I think I need a hospital labour ward delivery rather than MLU or homebirth. CAn this really be the case, can I really be choosing this option?

The other thing on the birthplan is to let the cord stop pulsing, as long as I ma able to bring baby high enough up this time.

Also after having had such a horrible induction last time I am inclined to refuse induction no matter what & am somewhat taking the view that if its felt to be that important that my child is born sooner rather than later I would rather that sooner was a 40min operation than a 4 day induction process... i.e. I'd push for a c-section over induction - am I mad??

Sorry this is long, and it may seem an odd topic for the natural birthing section but natural birthing is actually where my heart lies....

Hi hun :) congrats on your bubba.

Hopefully this time you will go into labour before they suggest induction, if there were problems with fetal growth last time your baby could be fine this time and there will be no need to induce. Don't forget they will offer induction to you once you go 'overdue' but just research 42+ week pregnancies etc. Some hospitals are very accomodating - when I reached 42 weeks my consultant offered that I could have monitoring to check the baby and placenta were fine, rather than being induced - and let my pregnancy continue. If you talk to them with background knowledge and show them you know what you are talking about they are generally very respectful of your wishes.

It's very possible to have a natural birth in the hospital and many women do have a natural birth but like the added security (from their own fears, past experiences etc).

If you write a birthplan keep it short and sweet, preferences rather than demands. State that you would not like to be offered entinox or pethidine etc but if you do decide on pain relief it will be an epidural. In my birth plan I wrote the same about pethidine and when I felt I 'needed' something it was never even mentioned, which I was very happy about.

Again with the cord, most hospitals are happy to leave the cord to finish pulsating if that's what you request. I stated on my birth plan I would like a physiological third stage but due to some complications in the delivery that didn't happen - though they did talk to me about it before giving me the drug to expel the placenta - which again I was happy with.

Most hospitals also now have the option to dim lights, or have birth pools in them etc. You should be able to move around freely in the room, use a birthing ball etc etc.

Again the point I'm trying to make is natural birth is definitely possible :) Congrats again and good luck xxx

ETA: It's fine if you don't want an induction but just remember each birth is different and you were quite 'early' last time - your baby may not have been ready to come out hence the 4 day induction. Most inductions are only hours not days.. You can also be induced by different - less harsh ways. Just research it before you make up your mind 100% because once the babies born you might regret opting for a section over induction (if it got to that stage)

Thanks for your reply Winegums; it's good to hear a little about what to expect from hospitals :thumbup:

as for me - I'm keeping fingers crossed I go naturally :)

Hi JoeyJo

I understand everything you have said, but do think you should think very carefully before opting for a c-section. Your 4 day induction with George must have been very demanding, but i would imagine this LO will be keener to make an appearance, and you will either go naturally or at least induction would be much quicker.

My main fear is a c-section, simply for the recovery time. The thought of not being able to pick Sophia up for 6 weeks just upsets me terribly.

Isn't it funny how different things about labour/birth worry everyone based on previous experience. I think it is harder this time to go into labour with a clear head as we have our previous experiences to guide/scare us. i think it was easier first time round when you coud just go in thinking "what will be will be"!

Most of all I hope this labour starts naturally for you and that you don't need pain relief. Have you considered a water birth by the way. When i got into the pool with Sophia I could barely feel my contrations any more - this might be a really good, natural form of pain relief for you. Is your local birth centre connected to a hospital - if so you could always start off there and transfer if you felt you needed an epidural?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->