Holiday nappy question!

ellie

Mum to Kalden
Reaction score
We're going away this weekend to a yurt in west wales :happydance: for 4 days. Its kind of like posh camping :haha: so basically a big tent in a field, no electricity on the site, but a shared kitchen / solar powered showers space, and compost toilets (I think).
OH has said we have to use sposies :( and i have to admit i cant see how we could manage with cloth for the whole weekend ... I mean I could easily take enough to last :haha: but then we're stuck with stinky nappies till we get home :sick: they might even rot lol!
Does anyone have any suggestions? Like I was thinking, could I take a few Flips or BGs or something and handwash the inserts at night and hang them out to dry? To at least minimise the use of sposies? Or is that a mad idea and shoudl I just use the sposies while we're away? I'd have to wash them in the kitchen area and I'm not sure what anyone else staying there would make of that!!
:shrug: whatcha think?

We have just been away for a whole week and there wasnt really anyway we could wash adequately or have the space in the car to pack a weeks worth of fluff :nope:

I reluctantly brought the nature babycare eco nappies, nappy bags and wipes - all biodegradeable etc.

I was actually pretty impressed with them they worked well, no leaks and held a nights worth of wee plus an unexpected morning poo all at once!!

Even tho I knew they were 'eco' ones and abit better than normal sposies, I still felt really really guilty about 'throwing a nappy away', even DH said it felt strange and wrong :wacko:

Id say get those, its the better option of the sposies I think :thumbup:

We went camping for 3 days back in July and took fluff- it was a modified stash though :) I took a 2 "good" night time nappies and then for daytime I used microfiber towels folded with pieces of fleece laid over top, inside a sandwiched PUL wrap. Sounds a little odd, but it worked great- no leaks and very quick drying. I probably took about 10 microfiber towels but in the end, only used 4 of them since I washed at each nappy change. I'm sure some people would think I'm insane for bringing cloth along camping, but I really didn't want to have used sposies sitting around camp either. Have fun if you bring your fluff- it's not really that hard though :thumbup:

I would take fluff myself! Having 2 days worth of nappies isnt really that different to having 2 days worth sat in the nappy bucket at home? Just work out how many to take realisticly ie how many night nappies then how many do you use a day on average and maybe add an extra one just incase?

I'd definitely just take lots of flips and handwash them :) and a pack of flash wipes to do the sink with! Then nobody can complain. Or, I've got tons of stay dry inserts, I can lend you some for your hol if you like- I could spare six xx

If they are composting toilets, you could use pocket nappies with compostible inserts. That way, you could rinse through the pockets very easily, by hand if necessary, and no problem with drying pockets! Then you would be able to add the inserts to the composting toilets, as it's the inserts that are the problem with washing and drying. Am PM'ing you!

When we go on our Babymoon for 10 days we will be sticking with cloth but we are lucky that we have rented a cottage with full modern kitchen so can wash as we would at home. This was honestly a consideration when booking somewhere!!

I can see reasons for both her but maybe Jetters offer is a good solution?

Have a great time :hugs:

xxx

Thanks all! Its 4 days we're going which we felt was a bit long to have stinky nappies sitting around and in a hot car on the way home .... but i might well try flips or pockets. Thanks Jetters I have plenty of SD inserts :) thats really kind of you!! Littlepants do you mean the actual inserts? not liners? I have compostable liners but never heard of inserts, that'd be a good idea! If not I guess MF inserts would be better - I dont have MF towels but plenty of MF inserts.
Could I use some Flip disposable inserts? I guess theyre' not compostable though?!
I might use a mix then - get some eco ones and take some flips / bg's, that wouldnt feel so bad. I could sneak to the sink under cover of darkness to wash them in secret :ninja:

Does that sound like a workable plan? It might sound mad to others to think so much about it , but I just dont like throwing so many nappies and yes Kaites the used sposies would have to sit around the site anyway. And I knew you guys would understand :)

Sounds like a good plan to me, esp. if the sposies would have to sit around camp otherwise :thumbup: (I'm sure the other people camping would prefer to have you washing the fluff than smelling the sposies too!) I hope you have fun camping and have good weather for line drying the inserts :flower:

I'm cracking up with visions of you on a stealthy nappy washing mission under the cover of darkness :rofl:

Littlepants do you mean the actual inserts? not liners? I have compostable liners but never heard of inserts, that'd be a good idea!

These are compostible inserts, not liners. You can either tear them in half and flush them, or compost them - make great compost for the garden, although for garden spreading you're only supposed to compost them if wet - not soiled.

I've got a few in clearance!

Ooh thanks littlepants I'll pm you in a bit - that sounds great, but could I get them by the weekend?

Lol, I'd better pack soem night camo and a balaclava :ninja: :rofl:

we went on holiday in a caravan for a week i took my stash and just used them til i filled the bucket - it was no worse than having them in the bucket 3-4 days which is the frequency that we wash them.

i did rinse the pooey ones though.

Oh wont let me take a bucket!!!
I think I'm all set now though - I have flip covers, a couple of BG V3s, 5 flip SD inserts, a stack of disposabel flip inserts, and a pack of compostable inserts from little pants :) - a couple of sposies for nights ... so we're off! So I'll only need to hand rinse the SD inserts, V3 pockets and maybe the flip covers. Yay! Have a fab weekend all :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->