Holidays in Term Time!?

Nicole8126

Reaction score
Hi.

I would be very grateful for any advice/comments any of you may have to offer. My sons father wants to take him to America at the end of June this year however..as there is a half term at the start of June this would ultimately mean that he (my son) would be off from school for almost a month!! I have expressed my concerns that our son should not be away from School for this long but according to his Dad (who is, in my opinion, the devil in human form, hence why we are no longer together) I'm being ridiculous, and our sons education doesn't matter that much at this point because he's only 8!

Personally I don't think I'm being hasty? (certainly not spiteful) I would love to yes, as I have done on many occasions but, I just Dont think the circumstances are right. From a 'responsible parent' point of view??

Last year we went on holiday and I refused to go at any other time other than the 6 weeks holiday now..I understand there are money issues and, if there wasn't a half term at the beginning of June I may have been inclined to say yes. Needless to say, things are getting nasty now (from my sons father) as he isn't getting his own way..Do I stick to my guns, in the fear that my son will hate me for saying NO? I'm guessing the school will refuse the holiday anyway (I hope) but if they allow the holiday, I have to say no..right?

What are you're views??

Thank you!!!

I have a daughter who's 8 and there is no way that the school would let us take her out. These days you need formal sanction from the school to take him out, why not speak to them and see if you can get them on side to stop him taking your son. I have to say, I wouldn't want my daugther missing school this June as she has a lot of exams etc straight before the hols.

good luck

Thanks for you're feedback :thumbup: My instincts tell me that my sons father is being unreasonable..I guess I needed a little reassurance. Wanted to make sure I wasn't being hasty about the whole thing (constantly judging & doubting myself..even at the age of 30) :dohh:

i would let mine go tbh

saying he would be off school for almost a month, does this includ the half term where there is no school? how much school is he actually going to miss?

why is dad going then and not half term? other commitments? financial reasons?

I wouldn't be letting him go during term time, 1 full month off school is too much. As you say, the school will have to give their permission but if you definitely don't want him to go then you have a right to say no. X

Schools are only allowed to authorise 2 weeks of holiday in term time and the government is looking to stop this. Some schools already refuse any holidays in term time (my DD's school is one!) so it wouldn't really matter what you say - the school would veto it.
I think the highest fine for a parent who took their kids on holiday in term time has been £800 so far :shock:

but it maybe is only 2 weeks, the total time off would be almost a month but if you include the half term where there is no school then it could just mean 2 weeks of actual school would be missed

I see what a few of you are saying..Half Term is no school anyways so, regarding actual school work, he will be missing just over 2 weeks! I'm worried about this time off as he is already slightly behind and receives extra help in class.

I would LOVE to be able to just say yes (after all, I don't want my son to hate because I've had to say no) I would just prefer it if it wasn't in School time. His reason for taking him during term time is purely down to financial reasons. Which I find a little lame to be frank. If we as a family cant afford a holiday in the 6 weeks, we don't go, and its as simple as that. My sons education means more than a 2 week stretch in a hot country. I mean, people say holidays can benefit you educationally and gives you world experience but...honestly...how much can you learn from walking around Disney World?

As you say that he is already behind then i would have to say no. If it was for 1 extra week i would be more inclined to say it'd be ok. I personally don't see a problem in taking children out of school every now and then but i wouldn't do it for more than a week-i'd try and tag it onto a half term or bank holiday weekend.
You do have to consider if your child is likely to be able to catch up with the work missed and if he's behind already then he isn't likely to.

I'd stick to your guns and so no I'm afraid.

I really wouldn't if he's behind already.

Madeleine behind too, and she had a week and a half off cos she got impetigo. We should have kept things up at home, but didn't think to. And when she went back to school her teacher told us she'd forgotten how to write her name and could only write the letter M!!

This half term just gone we did reading every day and she hasn't forgotten anything.

His reason for taking him during term time is purely down to financial reasons. Which I find a little lame to be frank. If we as a family cant afford a holiday in the 6 weeks, we don't go, and its as simple as that. My sons education means more than a 2 week stretch in a hot country. I mean, people say holidays can benefit you educationally and gives you world experience but...honestly...how much can you learn from walking around Disney World?

In an ideal world finances wouldn't have to be taken into account, but life isn't like that.

My DH has a business where most of the money is made in School holidays (bouncy castle hire). If we went away during the six week break, we would lose a huge amount, it's not an option for us. Our children would never have a holiday if we didn't take them away in term time.

I strongly believe that children gain a huge amount from going on holiday with their family. Of course their education is very important, and I would never dispute that, but so is getting out and exploring the world, and making memories.

If it were my DS, and he had no exams etc.. that he was going to miss, then I would let him go. Just my opinion.

How often does he see his dad? if he doesn't have exams then I'd let him go.

I know that it is frowned upon to take your kid out of school during term in the UK, and over here, if you miss 30 h a month for unexcused (travelling is an unexcuseable reason) reason they get fined for disregarding the compulsory school attendance, or if they are past compuslory school attendance age they simply get kicked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->