Home birth advice-hubby still in doubt.

MrsKTB

Mummy to Henry
Reaction score
So, my hubby is starting to get on board with the idea of a home birth, but he's still not 100%.

I totally understand his concerns, our first child was undaignosed breech and it was panic stations at the hospital....but I did it naturally with a bit of gas and air.

Anyway, obviously, if the baby is breech this time, and doesn't turn, I'll go to hospital....but I want to have a home birth booked, so that I have the CHOICE when labour comes.

Has anybody got any advice, stories, anything really, that might help put hubby's mind at ease a little?

my Husband was on the fence about it, so I made him watch Birthwise ( its a dvd antenatal course run by a natural birth mw ) and he started to trust that My body could do it, ( this was baby number 3 and he had been quite on the sidelines for baby one and two ) and I got the HB MW over to talk to him and we finally had him aggreeing, as it was he was my MW because the oncall MW was out and i refused to go into hospital, he supported me in that decision because I had explained previously my reason for not wanting a hospital birth and he was supportive of that, he was on the phone to ambulance dispatch when ds3 was born and they arrived shortly afterwards but having a baby at home just me and him that really opened his eyes on how wonderful the body is to be able to do all that without it needing to be medicalised

My DH had never heard of homebirth, I told him that I really wanted to have the baby born and home and he was totally freaked out, since this our first, especially. Luckily after meeting with the midwife and watching selected portions of “the Business of Being Born” (I couldn’t get him to sit through the whole thing), he is 100% on board. In fact, I mentioned changing our plans and going to the hospital to save money (ironic, isn’t it? Hospital cheaper than home?...Insurance!!), and he flat out told me that he wouldn’t want to change our plans and he would rather me be at home. I was kind of stunned from his original position.

My midwife published an annotated guide to studies about home birth in terms of outcome, complications, satisfaction, etc. (You can view it here.) Perhaps some of these studies would put his mind at ease?

My husband was fine with me birthing wherever I was most comfortable, so I don't really have any advice on convincing him. Maybe you could also show him something like The Business of Being Born?

Mine was not at all on board at first :dohh:

Then we watched The Business of Being Born together and it really opened his eyes. Big time :haha:

I've given him lots of info and just talked about it a lot and let him know it is my biggest desire. Then, to my complete surprise, 4 days ago he said he's fully on board :wohoo:!!!!

Hi there, i am pregnant at the minute with my forth baby.my first labour was very medicated and awfull, so i chose homebirth with my last two children.
I cant begin to tell you the difference, they were perfect births both born at home, i felt completely relaxed being in my own home and i also felt like i was in full controll. I have just booked my third homebirth (so it cant be that bad!!!)
And by the way the leicester team of midwives are fantastic x let me know if you have any questions.

I had DH watch "The Business of Being Born" and I dragged him on a hospital tour... and that sealed the deal for him. Our experience was incredible. If you can convince DH to read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, that's a good one too. :)

My story is included in my signature. :)

Thanks guys! i'll get onto finding and watching that.

I think I need to watch it too..... I was so in the home birth zone...but this past week Ive let so many negatives into my head!!!! Not good! I keep dreaming that I'll have to have a section, either for baby being breech, my SPD getting too bad or that i end up with GD!!! Not good!

Also, breech babies can be delivered safely vaginally (as you demonstrated already) and at home. Perhaps ask your midwives if they are experienced in breech delivery and how they would feel about it. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->