• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Home birth after 3 c-sections?

Guera

Reaction score
My name is Cheri and I am currently 21 weeks pregnant with my 4th child. I have always been interested in home birth and truly regret not doing it with my previous children.

There are some issues with my previous maternal history that may hinder my ability to have a home birth. My first child was diagnosed with IUGR and delivered at 35 weeks via c-section. Needless to say he did a classical uterine incision, but a lower transverse on the skin and informed me any future children would HAVE to be born via c-section. Devastating in my mind. I have went on to have 2 more c-sections that were all preformed lower transverse with no complications.

My last baby was born in March of 2008, so three years ago and this pregnancy is our final baby. My heart is again nagging me to the fact that I really want to experience a non invasive home birth, but all I have heard and let myself believe is that I shouldn't. I do however know my body, it was meant to give birth. I know I can do it. I now know I should have insisted on a VBAC and never consented to a classical incision, but the past cannot be changed.

My question to you is, should I go forward with my hearts desire of a natural birth or consent to the fact that my body has been manipulated to the systems pleasure and this last baby be born via c-section?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I know there are definitely women who have had classical insicions and still have a vbac, but obviously the risk of rupture is slightly higher.
As for having a HBA3C - there are definitely women who have done this! I'm hoping for a VBA3C myself - still dithering about whether to have a home birth or not.

Found this :

CAESAREAN MYTH NO. 4
A classical or other non-LSCS scar is a contraindication for VBAC

A classical caesarean is where a vertical incision is made in the main body of the uterus, which is more muscular and therefore contains more blood vessels. It is generally accepted that those women who have a classical uterine incision are not eligible for future vaginal delivery, because of the slightly higher risk of uterine rupture relative to the more usual lower transverse uterine incision (LSCS) and also because such ruptures are believed to be more likely to be of a serious nature. Mothers with other non-LSCS scars are often excluded for the same reasons.

The often quoted rupture rate of 2.2% for classical incisions is based on studies carried out more than 30 years ago. It is not known whether advances in surgical technology over recent decades will have affected this figure. Caesarean Birth in Britain points out that 'the classical incision was commonly done in days when anaesthesia was not so advanced and blood transfusions and antibiotics were not available, so that rapid surgery and wound infection led to a higher chance of a weak scar'.4

Until LSCS became common, it was not unusual for women with classical scars to go on to have vaginal deliveries. Indeed, in 1968 in Kenya, Professor Wendy Savage delivered a woman by caesarean of her 13th child. In 1946 and 1947, her first two children had been born by caesarean and she then had ten normal deliveries.'4

Even though the risk of scar rupture following a classical caesarean is acknowledged as being greater, some women will consider a 97.8% chance of having no difficulties with their previous scar as good odds. Individual mothers need to be enabled to balance their own views of the risks and benefits of vaginal or caesarean birth and come to their own supported conclusions about what is likely to be most appropriate in their individual case.

Although we need to ensure that good research-based information is available and accessible to those women who wish to make choices, it has to be acknowledged that not all mothers either want or are ready to receive such information, especially when this calls into question medical advice that they have received. However, this must not prevent us from fully supporting those mothers who are struggling to seek out sufficient information to enable them to maintain control and make their own informed choice, regardless of whether these are compatible with common obstetric practice or even research.

(https://www.caesarean.org.uk/articles/Myths.html)

HTH and good luck!
Ceri xx

thanks so much for your reply!

I really feel in my heart that I can do this, and I know that something will be not fulfilled if I dont. The hard part is finding a midwife that will attend. I have emailed several in my area to no avail. I dont want to be that stubborn women that does an unassisted birth to have some complication come up and it be my fault.

I guess I will just have to keep looking, thanks again!

I've had 2 sections and I'm 34 wks pregnant with my 3rd. I really want to do a natural/home birth. I'm in California and was told by many it's impossible. I just contacted 2 different midwives and they said it's very possible! They both go off of the lasted Canadian Studies. I truly believe that here in the US that it's all about doctor convenience. My only issue is that I have HMO & it will not cover midwife services. So, I'm looking at $5000 out of pocket and we're not able to afford it : (
I wish you the BEST of luck and hope you are able to do it! Keep us posted!

I actually contacted several different midwives in my area and it turns out that in the state of WA. midwives were banned from assisting in home VBACs.:growlmad: that is a load of crap IMO. All that I contacted told me I would have a great chance at VBAC and very little risk, but that I could either move to Oregon on British Columbia or hire a Doula and just wait until the last minute to go to Hospital to avoid a c-section. I really dont like either scenario. :cry:

Oh gosh I'm sure I had a link to a story of a lady who HBA3C'd with a classical incision somewhere.

I'll have to look when I'm on my home PC!

There's no reason with a supportive MW and barring any real contraindications why you couldnt try, after all at the first hint of any issue for you or baby it will picked up by the 100% of your MW that you'll never get in hospital and be dealt with appropriately.

Oh gosh I'm sure I had a link to a story of a lady who HBA3C'd with a classical incision somewhere.

I'll have to look when I'm on my home PC!

There's no reason with a supportive MW and barring any real contraindications why you couldnt try, after all at the first hint of any issue for you or baby it will picked up by the 100% of your MW that you'll never get in hospital and be dealt with appropriately.

That is exactly what I think. I have no problem being monitored and having a transport if needed, I just want a chance to try. Just seems like the *system* here is just so anti natural that it regulates peoples hands tied. Frustrating.

I don't know if this is possible, but is there any way to find a Doula who was once a midwife that could actually help deliver? Then it would be classified as an "unassisted" birth but you would still have the great one on one care? This could be stupid thinking, just thought I would try to help.

I don't know if this is possible, but is there any way to find a Doula who was once a midwife that could actually help deliver? Then it would be classified as an "unassisted" birth but you would still have the great one on one care? This could be stupid thinking, just thought I would try to help.
that is a great idea!
I just got in contact with my local ICAN chapter and hope they will have access to some resources. Im not giving up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"